please help - hen having problems breathing- stress injury?

allenacres

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 29, 2008
Shelton, WA
Yesterday afternoon I was putting new shavings under the roost in the coop. My redcap freaked and flew from the roost, pole vaulted off my back (I was bent over) and flew in the far wall, fell straight down and behind a nesting box that was on the floor. All that was sticking up was her butt. She got out on her own, didnt seem worse for wear. I was in the coop for another 1/2 hr working. She proceeded to get weezy, and it got louder and louder. So I put a bit of Vet rx into her, and on her comb and put her in her own cage with water. If I handle her she gets more freaked out and her comb gets darker from lack of oxygen. In her cage she slowly recoups if I leave her alone.
I expected she would be dead this am. She was still alive. Twice today I treated her with more Vet rx. I thought she was better this afternoon as her comb was again red and she was hardly wheezing...until she got nervous/excited and then she was just as bad as we started.
I dont know what to do next. Just end it quickly for her with the hatchet or ?
Any advice? Any experience with this?

She is about 2 yo. currently moulting, none of my other poultry are sick.

Last edited:
* she may have aspirated a bit from being upside down, or she may be having some heart problems--or having the chicken equivilent of post-traumatic stress/anxiety . . . . 1 & 2 would be worsened by 3-- and vice versa. Is she eating/drinking on her own? What are her droppings like after this-- and after she gets worked up? Is there any fluid under the skin at her shoulder? Chickens can sometimes take a surprisingly long time to recover from a traumatic shock. She may also have pain when you try to handle her. I think, as a first step, I would dose her with aspirin solution in her water-- and then examine her again, top- to-tail VERY GENTLY and whispering sweet words to her the entire time--! Does VetRx contain electrolytes? I haven't seen it, so I don't know what's in it, and she should definitely be on electrolytes to start with.

Last edited:
thank you
I put an aspirin in her water tonight and put some newspapers under her cage so I can see what her poop is like in the am. I didnt handle her tonight as her comb was again red, showing she is getting oxy, but labored and wheezing. And like I said she freaks when I handle her and then her comb gets very very dark. She was watching me as I was opening and closing her door and laying the newspapers, so I feel like she has some hope of making it.

I think she is drinking as she was at her waterer this am, but I dont think she is eating. Tomorrow I will give her some gatoraid in her water for the electrolytes. I would syringe it in but Im afraid of her aspirating it into her lungs.

VetRx does not have electrolytes. Its 100% natural but it has stuff like vicks vapor rub, to aid in the breathing. The bottle is out in my coop so I cant read the label right now. I have had success with it in the past with wheezing, but the chicken was not this bad.

thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it. I will post tomorrow on her condition.

check her crop..
check for any swelling on the chest.
check all over for any heat or swelling.

she might be injured.
could have injured her crop, air sac, or even bruised/cracked a rib..

is she able to move around normally?

Thank you both for your help, she is gone now.
She was alive this am, but her crop was darker so she was straining more to breathe. Under her cage, was a big spot of very wet runny poo.
I tried to syringe a tiny bit of gatoraid into her, 5 minutes later she was gone. I feel guilty that I even tried to do that, but she wasnt eating or drinking so I think she would have died even if I didnt try.

She did walk out of the cage this am, wanted to be out of the cage, but any activity really took the oxy out of her and stressed her breathing a lot.

thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
I believe one of the (many) airsacs was injured in that fall (punctured perhaps) which I understand is common with such an injury (sometimes will heal itself). I am sorry you lost her but with such an injury next time then separate (and restrict movement) and offer electrolytes and no VetRX (would do nothing anyway for such an injury). (((hugs)))

Last edited:
sorry for the sad news, I always pick my hens up and pet them, talk w/them so when I need to, they will be used to it even though the man I got them from kept saying "they aren't pets" mine are for me and I think I am for them. I hand feed them, too, not always, but a treat here and there and they are gentle and not spooky...you might try it?

Back
Top Bottom