Please help hen is egg bound!

48579090-4F01-4716-87CC-0BEDB11AA394.jpeg
She’s warming up in the heat lamp she still seems tired from laying that egg though.

I am very glad that she's rid of that egg! Running eggshells through your blender or food processor and offering them in a separate dish beside their normal feed often fixes low calcium issues. Those that need it, eat it, and those that don't usually won't touch it. In addition to calcium, ensure that she's getting enough vitamin D, especially D3, as it helps her to utilize the calcium she's eating. The odd soft shelled egg doesn't necessarily mean a lack of calcium or disease; they can lay this sort of egg when they're coming off of molt, resuming laying after brooding, or simply when there's a 'kink' in their system. It doesn't always spell doom and gloom, but if this becomes a habit, you may consider a visit to a vet and/or antibiotics for an underlying reproductive infection interfering with her shell gland.

I am very glad that she's rid of that egg! Running eggshells through your blender or food processor and offering them in a separate dish beside their normal feed often fixes low calcium issues. Those that need it, eat it, and those that don't usually won't touch it. In addition to calcium, ensure that she's getting enough vitamin D, especially D3, as it helps her to utilize the calcium she's eating. The odd soft shelled egg doesn't necessarily mean a lack of calcium or disease; they can lay this sort of egg when they're coming off of molt, resuming laying after brooding, or simply when there's a 'kink' in their system. It doesn't always spell doom and gloom, but if this becomes a habit, you may consider a visit to a vet and/or antibiotics for an underlying reproductive infection interfering with her shell gland.

Thanks for the advice. I already put some egg shell in the food. I’ll be careful so all of them can stay healthy I have five hens. I’m also going to the pet store today to buy some oyster shell. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom