Please help hen is egg bound!

Jul 13, 2018
Southern California
Hello my barred rock hen is egg bound so I soaked her butt in some warm water with salt and messages her abdomen gently. She still is not laying. So I gave her a 15 minute break. She is currently free ranging.

0661586B-1134-4D9F-B19E-196D42B7D0F2.jpeg
This is her after the bath soak. You can clearly see the egg

Feed her a hard boiled or cooled, scrambled egg, shell and all. The calcium boost will help with her contractions. Glove up and lube up her vent, inside and out, with a water soluble lubricant like K-Y Jelly (can use cooking oil, but the K-Y Jelly would be better for a host of reasons). I keep a tube specifically for this task. I hold the opened tube up to her vent and give a squeeze and get the fluid both in and on her vent, and then gently insert one finger into the vent about 1 to 2 inches to see if I can feel the egg and if so, determine if it's broken, soft shelled, etc. Soft shelled eggs are very difficult for them to pass, kind of like trying to get your hand into a wet rubber glove.

Feed her a hard boiled or cooled, scrambled egg, shell and all. The calcium boost will help with her contractions. Glove up and lube up her vent, inside and out, with a water soluble lubricant like K-Y Jelly (can use cooking oil, but the K-Y Jelly would be better for a host of reasons). I keep a tube specifically for this task. I hold the opened tube up to her vent and give a squeeze and get the fluid both in and on her vent, and then gently insert one finger into the vent about 1 to 2 inches to see if I can feel the egg and if so, determine if it's broken, soft shelled, etc. Soft shelled eggs are very difficult for them to pass, kind of like trying to get your hand into a wet rubber glove.

Thanks for the help but now her comb is turning a dark purple when she’s into he water. Is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom