Please help, hen walking lopsided... something not right

I am not sure what they got into but it seems to have been something they ate. Both have recovered quickly (benefits of knowing your flock and reacting quickly). They do not have access to a compost pile; however there are other things that they may come across out there while free ranging. Along with the traditional avia charge and other probiotics, I gave this last girl some of my homemade Kombucha, which is a great aid for digestive issues. Does anyone know anything about the use of this with chickens? I did a search on the web and found only one reference to use with chickens and it was favorable.... Any thoughts. Thank you all for your great questions and support.

info n kombucha from the Mayo Clinic:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kombucha-tea/AN01658
(excerpt):
"....Although frequently referred to as a mushroom, kombucha is not a mushroom — it's a symbiosis of bacteria and yeast. When sugar and black or green tea are added to kombucha, a fermentation process results in the "tea" — a liquid containing vinegar, B vitamins and a number of other chemical compounds. Kombucha is most commonly prepared by taking a starter sample from an existing culture and growing a new colony in a fresh jar.

As with any dietary supplement or natural product, it's critical to do your homework before considering using kombucha tea on a regular basis. First, determine the level of evidence that exists to substantiate the health claims for the product. In the case of kombucha, there isn't a single human trial that has been reported in the peer-reviewed literature. This doesn't mean that kombucha tea can't possibly have health benefits, it just means that at this time, except for some lab and animal studies, there's no direct evidence that kombucha tea actually provides any of the health benefits it's reported to have.

The second "homework" question for any dietary supplement centers on safety. Have there been any credible reports of harm or illness caused by the product? In the case of kombucha tea, there are a number of cautionary reports. The home-brewing process can lead to contamination, with several cases of cutaneous anthrax developing in one community where a tainted batch was widely shared. Aspergillus is a fungus that has been found in kombucha tea and can be potentially dangerous, especially to people with weakened immune systems.

Other adverse effects that have been reported include allergic reactions, jaundice, nausea and vomiting, and one suspected death. Lead poisoning also has been reported when a ceramic pot was used to brew the preparation. It's theorized that the acids in the tea leached lead out of the ceramic glaze, resulting in lead poisoning after several months of consumption.

In short, there's no proof that kombucha tea is effective for any of its myriad health claims. At the same time, several cases of harm or injury have been reported. Unless definitive studies are reported that can quantify more accurately the potential risks and benefits of kombucha tea, it's best to avoid it."

I dont have time to research it further but based on what I have read here I for one would not use it with sick birds.

Diana, I read that report from the Mayo clinic, too. My experience with them is that their information is usually very conservative. I don't want to experiment with my chickens and I know what is good for humans is not necessarily good for chickens. However, I am very curious because I believe Kombucha has many healing and supportive properties. There is a lot of information on Kombucha in general, very limited on use with chickens. I am very curious about this and will see what I can find. I know that after I gave a little to her (from my own homemade supply) she definitely perked up. Hard to know exactly what did it (probiotics, avia charge?). Could have been just giving her digestive system a rest or a combination of all the above... Thank you sharing your wisdom.

Back
Top Bottom