please help her BROKEN BEAK (update page 4)

Just keep trying after a while...she may not die from a broken beak but she will die for sure if she doesn't get back to eating ....it may be tomorrow before you are able to but I would try again after a couple hours or so. I am so sorry you are having to deal with this.

I actually was able to get her to drink by pulling her bottom beak down gently and using a dropper. How much/often does she need to be drinking? I've probably given her about only 3 ml or so.

To my understanding, a portion of beak this large may not grow back.

If you don't want to cull this chicken (which may end up being the most humane thing to do...) it may be worth a try to glue the beak back together. I know that sounds crazy, but there are cases where that has worked to at least lengthen a chicken's life. I would try super glue of some sort - preferably with low fumes if available. Do it as soon as you can, gluing the hard part sticking up to what is left of the base of the hard part at the bridge of the nose.

I suppose if the hen is lost anyway, it doesn't hurt to try glue.

Even if the beak can not be repaired, if you're willing to have a "special needs" chicken, she could be fed soft mash once she's comfortable enough to eat.

This one is a toughie, and ultimately it will be your call. It will depend on if the chicken is in pain and how much you're willing to do for her... possibly for the rest of her life.

Keep us posted...

So I was on the phone with a vet that agreed that it most likely wouldn't be fixable...she is low on energy still but seems to have perked up a bit since I started trying with the water. Every once in a while she'll peck at the food but it doesn't seem like she has been able to actually eat any. The vet said to try and someone get stuff into the back of her mouth so I mixed some feed with water and have been trying to give it to her. I'm really willing to do anything. Someone suggested cat food, but she's never had that before so she might not want to try it; plus it seems a bit odd giving her chicken.

It looks like it's just the sheath and the cuticle is intact. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just snip off the part sticking up. You may want to give her soft feed for a few days but she's a chicken and will probably hit it on things regardless. In two or three months it should be as good as new.

Just my 2¢

I feed mine wet cat food made into a liquid that I can syringe into their beak and let them drink it down. Nutrition is important whether it is chicken or not...they don't care. You can also do very soft set scrambled egg and slide a little bit into the side of the beak and let her eat it that way.

Had a simular thing happen when my hen was attacted by a hawk. I feed her with watered down boiled egg mixture (be sure to use both the white and the yoke) everyday for weeks.You might want to add a little vitamen as well. you can obtain them from your feed store usually. My chicken was able to drink by herself but unable to feed. She healed up nicely even grew a new beak. She remains the spoiled bird I made her and gives me dirty looks when I don't sneak her a little egg. Wish you luck.

I just scrambled an egg and am waiting for it to cool down, but it would be benificial to mix save-a-chick in if I don't have any vitamins?
also, is it better to open her mouth and give her water with a syringe or dip her beak in a bowl? (I tried doing it like you would for a newborn chick and she swallowed)

Just cut off the piece sticking straight up. Imagine you ripped your nail loose all the way back to the cuticle and it was stuck straight up, you would cut off the nail that was torn loose. Not the end of the finger just the nail stuck in the air. (not exactly the same but close enough)

Back
Top Bottom