Please Help! I bought an 1 yr old Rooster - for my new pullets

MIKE555444

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Pliny, West Virgina
After searching everywhere I finally found a 1 yr old rooster to put with my Buff Orpington flock. He is an adorable calm friendly bird and seems to be just what I was looking for.

Here is my problem... He is 1 yr old and the pullets are at least 2 months away from laying. My thoughts were that I would keep him in the 8' x 8' spare run for a few months and then move him over to the main chiken house/run in a few months. He did great yesterday until evening time when he was flipping out trying to go roost with the others for the night. When it was dark and he was still trying to get in with them... I set him on the roost with them for the night and then took him off early this morning and seperated him again for the day. He is a big very tame rooster but I don't want to have to do this for 2 months lol

I am of course assuming that if I put him in with the young pullets he will try to mate with them(and hurt them) being that there are NO mature hens in the lot. AM I wrong? When is the soonest I could put them together with out him hurting the pullets? Any suggestions?

Mike

Put him in with the pullets and OBSERVE
smile.png

He probably will try to mate with them, but he won't hurt them that way.

AND, they may gang up on him since they are all "flock" and he isn't.

lol.png

I have 10 Buff Orpington pullets, 3 Black Orpington pullets, and 1 mixed pullet (adoption). I want several good years of laying from these hens and I do want to take good care of them.

Maybe I will observe them this evening and see how it goes...

Back
Top Bottom