Please help.......I dont know what to do anymore.

ChickenWisperer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
KY
My girls just killed one of my 5 month old babies - an EE. The baby was healthy, nothing wrong with her. There were feathers missing before. They had chased her out of the coop, into the run, and, im assuming, ate her alive, because a large portion of her backend was missing. I just went out maybe 30 minutes ago and she was already in rigor.

Im devestated. I try everything I know to keep the older girls occupied. Cabbage on a string, free-ranging, grass on a string, throughing out a little corn. And now, one of my babies is dead. One of my favorites.

I believe my BSL hen is responsible. But, I cant be sure. Im already in the process of selling her.

Do I need to get rid of all of my older hens and just start over? I would hate to see my Australorp go.......she has been INSIDE the coop all day with the babies and we havent seen any injures on days like that....

We separate them during the day - babies in the coop, hens outside. They can mingle in the afternoon and the morning. Today, we didnt shut the girls outside.

I just dont know what to do . ANY help is appreciated.

Oh dear, how devestating! Sounds like you know who the culprit is. I would separate that hen until she's sold. If you think more than one is being naughty, separate the young ones until you have enough time to watch them to see who is acting up. You would be there to intervene.... I'm so sorry for the loss of your little EE.

Back
Top Bottom