Please help I have no idea what this is!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Egg 17, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I have a serious question to ask I have pretty much a flock of 21 birds and I have 4 turkeys. And I have a flock of 17 birds and then 4 rooster separated to go to sale. And almost all of the 17 birds have a scab on the bottom of each foot. I am thinking it is bumble foot but I am not sure if it has spread that fast because I have checked every single bird the day before and washed there feet off and there wasn't a thing on there feet but now today they have a small tiny scab. So is this bumble foot or what is this or is it nothing to worry about. I have already done surgery on one hen but I can't be doing survey to all of them and replacing bandages once a day to all 17 of them.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of what you are seeing?

3. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I will try I haven't been able to upload pics.

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I have almost 100 chickens. Some of mine have what you describe. I have had to do bumblefoot surgery on a few. Bumblefoot is like a staff infection. It spreads like wildfire. Just like human foot fungus. I'm not a vet and i may manage my flock different than others, I would only do surgery on any that swell, are hot to the touch, are limping, or basically showing symptoms of bumblefoot.

I would let whomever is purchasing them know. Bumblefoot is pretty common & not caused by bad flock management. My chickens free range on 3 acres everyday. Just because one got an infection & spread to the rest does not mean I am lacking on animal husbandry.

5. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Yes mine free range all over my 2 acres everyday and return at night this is the first I have had to do a surgery but it was easier than I thought but I can't do it to every one and have you lost a bird just letting it go like that? And what if I get some penicillin or something would it make them better or I'll I still have to get the infection out? I will get some pics then later.

6. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Alright well the pics didn't work so I have been wanting to get some penicillin to give to the hens for a few days but I didn't know weather or not to get an injectable or if a capsule would work.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

8. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

Sorry for the late reply Idk if I will be online tommarrow but I will try I have to take roosters to sale, and then I need to get ready to soak there feet and pull the scabs off, I have soaked in water and stuff before and I did see improvement but then a few days later it came back so I will try and keep it soaked and clean for a few days.

9. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    And ok but I have not yet found the penicillin except at tractor supply but I am not spending 20 dollars for a little bottle of penicillin that would last one day for the chickens that need it. So I need to find a cheaper place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by