Please help I have no idea what this is!!!!!

Chicken Egg 17

Songster
Dec 11, 2015
McVeytown PA
I have a serious question to ask I have pretty much a flock of 21 birds and I have 4 turkeys. And I have a flock of 17 birds and then 4 rooster separated to go to sale. And almost all of the 17 birds have a scab on the bottom of each foot. I am thinking it is bumble foot but I am not sure if it has spread that fast because I have checked every single bird the day before and washed there feet off and there wasn't a thing on there feet but now today they have a small tiny scab. So is this bumble foot or what is this or is it nothing to worry about. I have already done surgery on one hen but I can't be doing survey to all of them and replacing bandages once a day to all 17 of them.

I have almost 100 chickens. Some of mine have what you describe. I have had to do bumblefoot surgery on a few. Bumblefoot is like a staff infection. It spreads like wildfire. Just like human foot fungus. I'm not a vet and i may manage my flock different than others, I would only do surgery on any that swell, are hot to the touch, are limping, or basically showing symptoms of bumblefoot.

I would let whomever is purchasing them know. Bumblefoot is pretty common & not caused by bad flock management. My chickens free range on 3 acres everyday. Just because one got an infection & spread to the rest does not mean I am lacking on animal husbandry.

Yes mine free range all over my 2 acres everyday and return at night this is the first I have had to do a surgery but it was easier than I thought but I can't do it to every one and have you lost a bird just letting it go like that? And what if I get some penicillin or something would it make them better or I'll I still have to get the infection out? I will get some pics then later.

Alright well the pics didn't work so I have been wanting to get some penicillin to give to the hens for a few days but I didn't know weather or not to get an injectable or if a capsule would work.

I have a serious question to ask I have pretty much a flock of 21 birds and I have 4 turkeys. And I have a flock of 17 birds and then 4 rooster separated to go to sale. And almost all of the 17 birds have a scab on the bottom of each foot. I am thinking it is bumble foot but I am not sure if it has spread that fast because I have checked every single bird the day before and washed there feet off and there wasn't a thing on there feet but now today they have a small tiny scab. So is this bumble foot or what is this or is it nothing to worry about. I have already done surgery on one hen but I can't be doing survey to all of them and replacing bandages once a day to all 17 of them. Sorry you couldn't get photos.
Reinspect each one and "grade" the bumblefoot according to the link below.

IMO, I would only dose the ones that have the absolute worst feet - but you may want to consider doing surgery, usually Penicillin would be given as support to help fight infection after surgery, if there is a problem with healing. If the bumblefoot is not extremely bad, then you might get away with soaking/applying ointment and wrapping - no surgery, but this would need to be done consistently for a while until you see improvement.

I understand you have a lot of birds, so treating each one will be difficult. Since you have quite a few that have it, you may also want to evaluate the height of your roosting, making sure they are not getting cut/abrasion on their feet from something that can be fixed.

That said, if you feel like you need to go ahead with antibiotic treatment it would need to be administered by injection - NOT by mouth.

http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/understanding-bumblefoot-care

Sorry you couldn't get photos.
Reinspect each one and "grade" the bumblefoot according to the link below.

IMO, I would only dose the ones that have the absolute worst feet - but you may want to consider doing surgery, usually Penicillin would be given as support to help fight infection after surgery, if there is a problem with healing. If the bumblefoot is not extremely bad, then you might get away with soaking/applying ointment and wrapping - no surgery, but this would need to be done consistently for a while until you see improvement.

I understand you have a lot of birds, so treating each one will be difficult. Since you have quite a few that have it, you may also want to evaluate the height of your roosting, making sure they are not getting cut/abrasion on their feet from something that can be fixed.

That said, if you feel like you need to go ahead with antibiotic treatment it would need to be administered by injection - NOT by mouth.

http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/understanding-bumblefoot-care

Sorry for the late reply Idk if I will be online tommarrow but I will try I have to take roosters to sale, and then I need to get ready to soak there feet and pull the scabs off, I have soaked in water and stuff before and I did see improvement but then a few days later it came back so I will try and keep it soaked and clean for a few days.

And ok but I have not yet found the penicillin except at tractor supply but I am not spending 20 dollars for a little bottle of penicillin that would last one day for the chickens that need it. So I need to find a cheaper place.

Back
Top Bottom