So to make a long story short,
  • 2 chicks
  • 6 weeks old
  • outside
  • 0 degrees f.
  • The heat lamps keep exploding
  • 4 heat lamps in 3 weeks
What do I do?!
I want to buy either The Prima Heat Lamp or a heating plate. Which one should I get?
I am getting another CHEAP heat lamp while the item ships.
Please Help!

I'd go for the heating plate, no bulbs to explode due to exceptionally differing temperatures; a cool breeze on a hot bulb can cause them to do that. Adjustable height designed for them to touch their little heads to the plate to gain the warmth they need. I like to set one side higher than the other, so that the chicks can 'customize' their experience with the heating plate, and to accommodate chicks with differing stature.

In the meantime, be certain that your cheap heating bulb is NOT teflon coated, as the gas that they emit while in use is toxic to birds. Any bulb labeled "safety coated", "coated", "heat resistant", "shatterproof", blah blah (you get the idea), is teflon coated.

I'd go for the heating plate, no bulbs to explode due to exceptionally differing temperatures; a cool breeze on a hot bulb can cause them to do that. Adjustable height designed for them to touch their little heads to the plate to gain the warmth they need. I like to set one side higher than the other, so that the chicks can 'customize' their experience with the heating plate, and to accommodate chicks with differing stature.

In the meantime, be certain that your cheap heating bulb is NOT teflon coated, as the gas that they emit while in use is toxic to birds. Any bulb labeled "safety coated", "coated", "heat resistant", "shatterproof", blah blah (you get the idea), is teflon coated.
Thanks! I will remember that for the future!

At 6 weeks they shouldn’t need supplemental heat, esp if they’re fully feathered out. Chickens are naturally able to keep in their body heat, and they have a layer of down under their feathers. They should be fine without one as long as your coop is well ventilated.
I'm not sure they would survive, it is about 0 degrees f. here.

Back
Top Bottom