PLEASE HELP I Think It's Dead

that egg is not developed enough to have a live baby in it.
at 28 days the entire egg would be dark except for the airsack.
it looks like the egg died around 2 weeks old.
also, at 28 days you would see a lot of movement when candeling it

*** editing myself here. I just looked at the 3rd photo.... that looks better
smile.png

sometimes they go 30 days..... but if you dont see movement today that it probably wont hatch.

Last edited:
That is the thing, the air sac didn't look that way at lock down, the air sac was at the top, as white and bright as this screen when I shined the light in it and now, nothing I heard it peep Friday morning. And now nothing, no sound of peeping, scratching, rocking, I think maybe the duckling was in trouble but I couldn't help because I had to leave town and came home to this. At lock down I saw the tooth, it move, alive and well.

Believe me, if the air sac looked bright and white and I saw movement and heard scratching and peeping and it was on top, I'd leave it alone still and just wait it out. But it looks like something ruption inside it, or detached. If there is even the ever slightest chance it could be alive, I should attempt to open it now.

I say follow your instinct. Open it--just do it slowly and carefully. Remember that if the baby is alive, the blood vessels inside the membrane are still active and can bleed the baby to death if ruptured too quickly. Good luck! I look forward to hearing the outcome. And whatever it is, remember to be gentle with yourself--you're doing the best you can and that's all you can do.
hugs.gif

I'd do what CuriosityCat says and hope for the best...even if you mess up, it's education for the next hard-luck egg. I have helped many babies hatch and have learned something from every one. And I have had very few go badly...it's always better to go slow and careful, even at the risk of chilling or drying them out, than to go quick and panicky and do something wrong, in my opinion.

I am so sorry to hear about that funnybunnies. I wish I could be there to help you out.

From the little experience I have, small eggs sometimes struggle to make it. I have always needed to help the smaller eggs. Probably not very good genes to keep anyways if you want to breed.

Hope the next lot will do a lot better. When I put my eggs into lock down, I candle them for the last time...well maybe not...I put the eggs with the airsac facing upwards so that when they peep internally so that they don't drown. No scientific proof but just my instinct...anyone else do this?

Back
Top Bottom