PLEASE HELP I think this is wry neck?

Oh! Sorry I wasn't clear, so these two are the last to hatch out of a dozen! And this is my second batch of hatching chicks. All the rest are walking pretty much fine within an hour or two. This one is not even able to "sit" normally in your hand, it keeps arching and twisting and tucking its head under its legs. I'm concerned especially that it is not even capable of resting comfortably no matter what I do.

Thanks for the reply! I too don't have much experience but I know enough to know that what I'm dealing with isn't normal.
I had a chick hatched with similar symptoms. Head between legs and walking backwards even when dried and fluffy. I kept all of them in the hatcher and fed the chicks gro-gel on day 2. By the time they went in the brooder, I could not tell which one had wry neck. I hope that helps.

You could try the coffee (or tea) cup method. It has worked for me.

Make a sling to fit across the opening of the cup, with slits cut in it for the chick's legs. I used a wide strip of that stretchy first aid wrap that sticks to itself, and then taped it to the outside of the cup to hold it - but you could use a scrap of fabric and a rubber band just as well. Position it so that the chick will be facing the handle of the cup, and leave a gap at the rear so the chick can poop into the cup.

Put a folded or wadded paper towel in the bottom of the cup so the chick's feet have something to stand on and build strength (and to absorb poop).

Put the chick into the sling, and hold it there while you apply another WIDE strip of the first aid wrap across its back, attach it to the cup, and make it snug so the chick can't wiggle out. You could use any other material I suppose, but I like the sticky wrap because it holds the chick better and doesn't harm the down. (Next time I have to do it, I'll cut a hole for the chick's head, too, to help hold it in place.)

Make a tiny feed cup and water cup using soda bottle lids or what-have-you. I used some old plastic measuring spoons with the handles cut off. Tape those together (duct tape is great), and then tape them to the handle of the cup so they're within the chick's reach. Fill with food and water.

Place the cup into the brooder or incubator - depending on what kind of heat source you have, you might have to improvise. I used a heat lamp, so it was easy to set the cup at about the same position as all the other chicks were hanging out; not under the lamp, but not in the cold either. Whatever zone the other chicks are relaxing, is the same place you want to put the chick and cup. I had to place the cup and chick inside a bigger container so that the other chicks wouldn't mess with him, but they could still hear each other. And then watch closely so he doesn't get overheated or cold.

The chick will struggle to get out, kicking and stretching his legs. GOOD. He's getting physical therapy. YOU can also provide physical therapy by holding the chick over a non-slick surface, legs between your fingers, and make him use his legs in the correct position to build strength. 15-20 minutes per session, several times a day.

I hope this helps.

(Disclaimer: I've never successfully done the PT myself, but have read this is how it's done. I also have only tried to rehabilitate ONE chick using the cup method, and it was successful.)
So we tried that method, but if the tape across the back wasn't tight, then she kept getting a foot loose and pushing out of it (she easily gets a foot over behind her head lately). If it was any tighter than that, she seemed to struggle to breathe. She would throw her head back with her beak open and visibly struggle to get air. Her body spasms so much, I'm not sure this method is going to be effective without constricting her airways too much. We keep trying but keep running into the same issue.

I had a chick hatched with similar symptoms. Head between legs and walking backwards even when dried and fluffy. I kept all of them in the hatcher and fed the chicks gro-gel on day 2. By the time they went in the brooder, I could not tell which one had wry neck. I hope that helps.
Thanks for letting me know! This chick is entirely incapable of walking, standing, or sitting upright even at 2 days old. Currently without assistance she can only lay on her side and kick.

Thanks for letting me know! This chick is entirely incapable of walking, standing, or sitting upright even at 2 days old. Currently without assistance she can only lay on her side and kick.
I don't know if this would help you, but I found a video with a different kind of contraption. I was able to rig it up more or less for my chick, but I ended up not leaving her in it because it was already nighttime and I wasn't comfortable leaving her in it while I went to bed. But maybe it could help your chick for a certain amount of the day?

I don't know if this would help you, but I found a video with a different kind of contraption. I was able to rig it up more or less for my chick, but I ended up not leaving her in it because it was already nighttime and I wasn't comfortable leaving her in it while I went to bed. But maybe it could help your chick for a certain amount of the day?

I LOVE this idea! Thanks for posting it. Sounds so much better than the cup method.

I LOVE this idea! Thanks for posting it. Sounds so much better than the cup method.
I think I took pictures of my setup with this method, I just didn't keep her in it very long. She's totally fine now, save just the occasional twitch.
20230421_233740.jpg
20230421_233324.jpg

I cannot find a store nearby that offers supplements containing selenium for chickens. I found a "selenium and vitamin E gel for goats" and we bought that but found another thread where people are advising not to use that, I've been afraid of dosing too much selenium.

After the two responses I got, I wasn't feeling very hopeful so my husband took over. He's been syringe feeding her a lot of freshly juiced herbs that's seemed to help, along with the electrolyte and vitamin water. We need to make a fresh batch of nutridrench, it's just that it's hard to figure out ratios to dilute it properly when you're making such a small amount daily. We've wasted so much of it and our house reeks of it. Any tips on scaling down the ratios?

My husband named her "Stargazer", and she attempted to take a few steps tonight after my husband gave her some of the juice I'd just made with fresh beets, apples, oranges, carrots, and spinach. Apparently those are all good for her so we tried it and he says she perked up a lot.

She's still not able to stand or rest comfortably. She just stays on her side, trembling. We are keeping her in an incubator turned down.

I haven't been able to get my hands on vitamin E oil yet.
The supplement I posted a few days ago is marketed for humans, should be available anywhere vitamins/supplements are sold.

Thank you for all the replies! Her wry neck was improving to the point where she wasn't spasming nonstop anymore and she was so determined to walk, but yesterday she began refusing food and she passed this morning.

Thank you for the supportive replies, I learned so much about chick care from trying to help her. Perhaps in the future I'll reach a point where I choose to cull instead of put myself through this, but for now it just feels right to do everything I can. Thanks for helping me do that.

Back
Top Bottom