Please help identify my girl

tossitall2015

Chirping
Aug 15, 2016
I hatched this little girl on May 16th. The lady I got her from has many kinds of chickens. I know that she is part Rhode Island Red. I dont know if she will get much bigger, but my main concern is she is trying to lay eggs, and nothing is happening. She is 8 months old, and would also like to know when we identify her breed, should she be laying by now?

Rhode Island Reds, Delawares' and Barred rocks are also early to lay- usually around 18-20 weeks. They are good, proven layers and can lay into their fourth or fifth year, although not consistently. However, there are some breeds, mainly the larger, heavier fowl that can take up to 28 weeks before they produce an egg.

Rhode Island Reds, Delawares' and Barred rocks are also early to lay- usually around 18-20 weeks. They are good, proven layers and can lay into their fourth or fifth year, although not consistently. However, there are some breeds, mainly the larger, heavier fowl that can take up to 28 weeks before they produce an egg.
I don't agree with you on the situation about the Delawares and Barred Plymouth Rocks. My Barred Rock didn't commence in to egg production until 9 months of age and so was my Delaware. My Australorp began at 4 months and she is a heavy breed. Light can play a major role on how early a pullet can come on the onset of egg production. Unless... The hen is a late maturing breed e.g. (Easter Eggers.)

I hatched this little girl on May 16th. The lady I got her from has many kinds of chickens. I know that she is part Rhode Island Red. I dont know if she will get much bigger, but my main concern is she is trying to lay eggs, and nothing is happening. She is 8 months old, and would also like to know when we identify her breed, should she be laying by now?
Can you please post a picture?

Not sure what you mean she’s “trying” to lay eggs.
What’s her behavior?

Back
Top Bottom