Please help identify my mystery chick

vintagechick

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2015
Hello everyone! I've been lurking around for awhile and telling myself I could figure this out on my own given enough time but I just can't take it any longer!

A little background, we just built our dream home on acreage and we have 3 boys under the age of 10. Our dream was to homestead, garden, have animals, live off the land, and keep our kids outside and off the dang video games!! Well surprisingly enough I have learned a few things myself. I thought we'd just go to the feed store and buy chickens for their eggs and fertilizer and such, but have been blown away with how much love I have for these birds! For some reason they are quite soothing to me and I find myself out at the brooder at the very least 3 times a day just to check on them or watch them like some would an aquarium I suppose. I can tell them all apart and know them all by name. My extended family thinks I've lost it! Lol

Anyway, the day we went to the feed store I asked for three ameraucana pullets (yes I know they're Easter eggers), three gold laced wyandotte pullets, and two silver hamburg pullets. Already I'm aware that there is a roo amongst us. I've been able to tell since week two. So I've learned my lesson on the whole pullet thing. But from the day we got home I could tell that one of the "wyandottes" didn't look like the other two. It was almost pure black or dark brown and had a comb, it also had black or dark gray feet where the wyandottes had the regular fleshy orange color. Now they are about 3 1/2 almost 4 weeks and she looks like this

She is hopefully a she. She is quite large. And the friendliest bird of the bunch. I was dead set on no roosters, but if she turns out to be one I'll have to sweet talk hubby because I don't think I could part with her.

Any help you can offer in identifying her would be awesome. It's been driving me nuts! The chicks they were supposed to have in that day were:
Rhode Island reds
Buff orpingtons
Black australorps
Ameraucana aka Easter eggers
Black sex links
Gold lace wyandottes
New hampshires
Danish brown leghorns
Anconas
Silver hamburgs
Golden hamburgs
Marens

I google imaged the chicks of these breeds within the first week or so and she didn't look like any of the chicks so I'm puzzled.
1f615.png

That's a Black Sex-Link. They are usually a cross between a male Rhode Island Red and female Barred Rock. The hens have the characteristic gold plumage on the chest.

Oh my goodness how did I not catch this??! I swear she didn't quite look like the chicks on google image and still didn't (kicking myself for not taking pictures of her little fluffy cuteness), but when I youtubed them... sure enough! Makes total sense.

I am actually so relieved! My oldest son who named her Hershey and has also become super attached to this bird was worried that she might be a rooster because of how big she is. Apparently from what I'm reading it's not uncommon for this breed to be this friendly correct? I might have to add a couple more next year, because this chicken actually walks up to you and waits for you to rub her belly... seriously. She will also jump up on the roost that we put in the brooder so she can see what you're doing in the garage. Is that weird?? Do chickens really do these things??

I have had one very friendly BSL, two standoffish ones, and a plain homicidal one. I always hear that they have excellent temperaments though, so maybe I'm just unlucky.
My super friendly BSL would jump up onto the feed scoop whilst I was carrying it and sit there like a hawk!

Back
Top Bottom