Please help identify

Stormydays

In the Brooder
May 20, 2017
I got some mystery chicks from My Pet Chicken. I have no idea what this little one could be. I'm guessing pullet even though the picture makes her comb look large. It's pretty similar in size to some of the other pullets. Here she is is at 5 weeks. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    891.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    714.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    597.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    525.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    473.8 KB · Views: 14
I think she is a brown leghorn pullet. I have 4 just a couple weeks older. Leghorns have bigger combs earlier, and females have reddish breast feathers. Males have black.
BTW, welcome to BYC! i hope to see you around!!!

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Closest thing I can think of is Welsummer. But I don't think so. What color are the earlobes?

Your blue one in the background... is it's tail been coming in way slower than everybody else? If so, that's a boy.

Never heard of black rock... but it does look like that! :)

One thing to do is go to MPC website and see out of your suspicions, which breeds they actually cary that look like yours. :):)

IMG_3009.JPG
IMG_3038.JPG
IMG_3043.JPG
IMG_3046.JPG
Hi everyone, I am a new chicken owner and am positive about my other girls being hens but I have ONE in question that might be a Roo. Out of my flock I have 10, different breeds and colors. I have 3 black Australorps, and one of them seems a little different than the other two. I'm thinking she might be a HE! Any opinions are greatly appreciated The first pic shows the chicken in question next to one of my other australorps and my barred rock girl. The rest of the pics are close ups of the chicken in question. They are all about 8 weeks old.

I think she is a brown leghorn pullet. I have 4 just a couple weeks older. Leghorns have bigger combs earlier, and females have reddish breast feathers. Males have black.
BTW, welcome to BYC! i hope to see you around!!!

Thanks so much!! I've been wondering this myself. :D

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Closest thing I can think of is Welsummer. But I don't think so. What color are the earlobes?

Your blue one in the background... is it's tail been coming in way slower than everybody else? If so, that's a boy.

Never heard of black rock... but it does look like that! :)

One thing to do is go to MPC website and see out of your suspicions, which breeds they actually cary that look like yours. :):)

Thanks I'll head over there and look again. :) Her earlobe looks more red to me.

Last edited:
Stormydays, in your first post, I see white earlobes. They will get more distinct as she gets older. Here are my br. leghorn pullets today, at 7 weeks...earlobes are small, but white.
leghorns 7 weeks (3 of 1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom