PLEASE HELP IM SCARED! Both ducklings eyes became shut

I'm so sorry for your loss. Maybe @Miss Lydia or @Quatie can help shine some light on what may have been going on.
Try not to beat yourself up, you did everything you knew to do and more. Most people wouldn't even do the research, rather say, "survival of the fittest" and not even try. You did so much for this duckling, and next time you will be able to do even more any others you have issues with. Its happened to me time and time again. We learn from these experiences as unfortunate as it is. Sending hugs, remember, this was not your fault, you did everything you knew how to do. I hope you feel better soon. :hugs
Thank you so much. I didn’t know how nice comforting words were. I wish I found out about the duckling sooner. It had been at most a day that I’ve known the lil guy, maybe things could have been different. I’ll keep trying to keep the others healthy, though. Again, thank you so much. This meant a lot to me. I’ll keep trying :’)

Thank you so much. I didn’t know how nice comforting words were. I wish I found out about the duckling sooner. It had been at most a day that I’ve known the lil guy, maybe things could have been different. I’ll keep trying to keep the others healthy, though. Again, thank you so much. This meant a lot to me. I’ll keep trying :’)
I'm glad that I could help with at least that. I'm very sorry for your loss.

I just read back into your post a bit, and I want to comment on that feed. That is perfect fine to feed ducklings, but you will want to add niacin to it. You can use Nutritional yeast for that. About 1 tbsp per cup of feed. Either that or get a flock raiser crumble which already contains niacin. :)
Also, a huge pat on the back for taking this venture on. You are doing a great job. Are you prepared for when they get bigger and need a coop and run? Probably not yet, but its never a bad idea to start planning your future setup. The BYC articles pages has SO many article with fantastic coops if you need some inspiration. Or you can post a thread in the coop forum on this site, and we can give you some suggestions. :)

I'm glad that I could help with at least that. I'm very sorry for your loss.

I just read back into your post a bit, and I want to comment on that feed. That is perfect fine to feed ducklings, but you will want to add niacin to it. You can use Nutritional yeast for that. About 1 tbsp per cup of feed. Either that or get a flock raiser crumble which already contains niacin. :)
Also, a huge pat on the back for taking this venture on. You are doing a great job. Are you prepared for when they get bigger and need a coop and run? Probably not yet, but its never a bad idea to start planning your future setup. The BYC articles pages has SO many article with fantastic coops if you need some inspiration. Or you can post a thread in the coop forum on this site, and we can give you some suggestions. :)
Oh I see! Thank you! I’ll go and buy some today. And no not yet, I was actually going to research things that are toxic or healthy for ducks because I’m trying to see what kind of grass or vegetation would be good for these ducks but be able to withstand the Texas desert heat. And thank you, I will definitely be looking through for coop inspo!

Oh I see! Thank you! I’ll go and buy some today. And no not yet, I was actually going to research things that are toxic or healthy for ducks because I’m trying to see what kind of grass or vegetation would be good for these ducks but be able to withstand the Texas desert heat. And thank you, I will definitely be looking through for coop inspo!
Most vegetation is okay for ducks, and I think all grasses are safe.
Climate is definitely something your going to need to look into. If you get hot summers and mild winters, than an open air coop is probably a good idea. If you get hot summers and cold winters, open air vents that you can close in the winter is another thing to consider. :)
Good luck in your venture, make sure that the nutritional yeast you buy has niacin in it. Oddly, sometimes it doesn't.

Most vegetation is okay for ducks, and I think all grasses are safe.
Climate is definitely something your going to need to look into. If you get hot summers and mild winters, than an open air coop is probably a good idea. If you get hot summers and cold winters, open air vents that you can close in the winter is another thing to consider. :)
Good luck in your venture, make sure that the nutritional yeast you buy has niacin in it. Oddly, sometimes it doesn't.
Ohh I see, thank you so much! I appreciate everything you’ve done, I’ll make sure it has niacin. Thank you thank you !

Sorry to hear about the loss of your duckling. Don't beat yourself up too hard over it. Most of us have had experiences loosing ducks and ducklings. We try the best we can and learn from our experiences. Even when you are knowledgeable, there are still times when nothing can save them.

From what I can see, it looks like the ducklings got an infection. The most common causes are lack of proper water access. They need deep water to dunk their heads in. Dunking their heads keeps their eyes and nares clean. If you are willing to share a picture of your brooder set up, it may help find a cause to the infection.

Back
Top Bottom