please help I'm worried

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kenzie008, Aug 10, 2014.

1. kenzie008

kenzie008 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    It some new chickens from a friend and now my chickens are not eating a lot sleeping a lot and just don't move around I'm worried I might have brought a disease to my flock

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Did you isolate the new chickens for a few weeks before integrating them with your own flock ?

Are the new additions to your own flock displaying any symptoms of illness ?

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    How old are your own existing chickens?

4. kenzie008

May 29, 2014
    They do not look I'll the hen is about two years old and the rooster is about a year

5. kenzie008

May 29, 2014
    Also I don't know how old my chickens are because I got them at different time and diff ages and I did not isolate them before introducing them

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If you have brought in new chickens there is a very high possibility that they have brought along a strain of cocci that your birds are not immune too. It can work the other way around as well, your new birds can get coccidiosis from your existing flock. The first symptoms are not wanting to eat/drink much and acting slow and lethargic. I would get some Corid and start treating them all immediately in case that is what's going on. Coccidiosis kills fast so you have to treat right away. You can get Corid at most any feed store or Tractor Supply, you may have to look in the cattle dept. You can use either the liquid or the powder, it doesn't matter. Dose for the liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, make it up fresh every day and treat for 5 to 7 days. Dose for the powder is 1 to 1.5 teaspoons per gallon, same directions otherwise.

Also observe your new birds carefully for any signs of respiratory disease such as runny noses, bubbly or swollen eyes, breathing sounds like rattling, wheezing or coughing or excess sneezing.

7. kenzie008

May 29, 2014
    I'm going this Tuesday September 10 to get the meds because I can't bare yo loose my birds and Mr rooster has bubbles in his eyes and my hen is slow moving and I love them deeply. Just recently I lost my rooster that I treated like a baby he was two years old and we don't know why he died

8. kenzie008

May 29, 2014
    I looked up corid and it says for cattle is that what I use but only one teaspoon

9. jaxia

jaxia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014
    Broken Arrow, ok
    Yes thats the same corrid. 2teaspoons per gallon of water. The bottle we found was in the cattle section of our local feed store. It will last you forever! I had a chick with cocci pop back pretty quick when I treated her as soon as I noticed symptoms. I had to drip the water into her mouth but it did the trick. Gl with ur chickens.

10. jaxia

jaxia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2014
    Broken Arrow, ok
    The sooner the better! Its a very serious illness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by