Please Help Injuries From Dog Attack

Navasota

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 9, 2011
My hen has sustained a bad dog attack to her back. She is conscious, wounds cleaned, warm and indoors in a kennel with me. Did not eat or drink last night. This is a terrible injury and although I don't think LeGrande is going to survive, I have to give her the best chance I can.

Please advise the basics for shock. Do I give her any sugar in her water to help drop in blood sugar? Do I manually administer water with a syringe? I would like to begin antibiotics immediately (attack was last night)...which antibiotic and dosage?

I'm sorry to be ignorant right now. I've moved, all my chicken books are packed and I haven't been on the forum in over two years of uneventful and happy chicken-rearing.

Please help me save LeGrande.

I had a hen in shock after a hawk attack and I was sure she was going to die, but she survived! You may want to put in a heat lamp to keep her warm. Just start by dripping water down the side of her beak with a syringe or dropper if you have one, you can add a little bit of sugar. I gave my hen Penicillin G injections in the breast muscle- dosage depends on weight. You should be able to get PenG and electrolytes for the water, too at the farm store.

When in shock their digestive system shuts down for a while, so she won't be ready to eat for a while. But first try to get her through the critical hours and she just may surprise you.

Last edited:
Thank you. Can you please recommend a dosage on PenG.

I have oral Amoxicillan in the fridge. Anyone...Can I use this? I need to start antibiotics asap.

Hope your chicken is feeling better, I do not have much experience on chickens, but I just wanted to let you that I was thinking about you!

Back
Top Bottom