1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE help - is this a disease that anyone has seen before???????? Is this Marek's?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gina4animals, Apr 21, 2012.

1. gina4animals

gina4animals Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2008
    Salida, CO
    My chick seems almost paralyzed - no control over her legs or wings. Eats just fine, is alert, but has no muscles. Her legs are bent so her feet are by her neck. She rolls over on her back as she is unable to stay on her belly. I have to hold her to feed her. She came from McMurrays (then the feed store) 6 weeks ago and the other chicks are so far so good. They come vaccinated for Mareks but this might still be Mareks. I am trying the colloidal silver (day 2) per another post on here awhile back. Any suggestions would help. - TODAY IT LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER ONE IS GOING THE SAME WAY....This one was from an egg I hatched, not from McMurrays.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.).
    6 week old laying pullet - not sure what breed - some type of aracana I believe.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Cant move her legs - her feathers are spread out, and her tail feathers are straight up.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4 days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    yes, one more today is just starting to act funny
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    nothing
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    nutridrench, pedialyte, laying crumbles (medicated), colloidal silver
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    normal,
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    isolated her in the house, fed her by hand, water, crumbles, washed her off, kept her warm.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    we have no vet for fowl here in my town.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
    she is in a crate on a towel, was in my huge indoor pen with 30 hens age 6 weeks to 3 yrs.
    12) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    I will try to post photos

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    sounds like Marek's or food botolism.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by