Please help, issue after laying eggs

Debrabuf

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2021
Hi, my barred rock (Lizzie) is 21 weeks old today, she started laying last week. After he second egg she seemed to have injured her leg when getting out of the nesting box (I have the ez coop medium coop). The nesting boxes are easy to access.

She was limping (right leg) as leaving the nest box/coop, this was going on for a couple days, she laid another egg and the started limping on her other leg. She is eating, sleeping, drinking, laying eggs, poop normal, no visible signs of broken feet, etc.

Is there any issues that can cause her to limp after laying eggs??? I bring her (and a friend) in a night so she doesn't go on the roost bar to cause any issues.

As precaution I closed off the one nesting box and have been giving her once a day a 1/2 of baby aspirin.

I have vet appt but not until October. Urgghhh, I worried sick!

Yes, there are issues related to reproduction that can cause lameness, but they all require time to develop. I'd look for the cause elsewhere.

Check her feet and legs for bruising. It may appear as faint green splotches. Check feet for bumblefoot infections. Check legs for leg mites - the lifting of the leg scales.

Watch the nest boxes when the hens are laying. See if there are any squabbles and conflicts in the nests that may be causing injury. I've had nest conflicts that resulted in blood spattering the inside of the nest.

Yes, there are issues related to reproduction that can cause lameness, but they all require time to develop. I'd look for the cause elsewhere.

Check her feet and legs for bruising. It may appear as faint green splotches. Check feet for bumblefoot infections. Check legs for leg mites - the lifting of the leg scales.

Watch the nest boxes when the hens are laying. See if there are any squabbles and conflicts in the nests that may be causing injury. I've had nest conflicts that resulted in blood spattering the inside of the nest.
Thank you, I checked her over and can't see any obvious injuries. I only have 7 chickens with 3 nest boxes and have video camera in coop and haven't seen any fighting. She laid another egg, still limping...just very odd original foot she limped on now she stands on it and has trouble with other foot. She just started laying hence why I'm worried something happens to her during the process. I bring her in at night so hope over time she heals, we have vet visit oct 2.

On the outside chance this is related to low blood calcium, try giving her some calcium citrate for a few days.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
One half to one tablet per day directly into the beak. Continue for five days and see if it improves her legs. You could also try adding a B-complex tablet each day for improving nerve connections in the legs.

Onset of laying could have caused a vitamin deficiency. Give Poultry Nutri-drench in addition to the above vitamins and calcium.

Thank you so much, I'll pick some up tomorrow. I do give the oyster shells and crushed egg shells, on layer feed. But going to try your suggestions.

On the outside chance this is related to low blood calcium, try giving her some calcium citrate for a few days. View attachment 2824918One half to one tablet per day directly into the beak. Continue for five days and see if it improves her legs. You could also try adding a B-complex tablet each day for improving nerve connections in the legs.

Onset of laying could have caused a vitamin deficiency. Give Poultry Nutri-drench in addition to the above vitamins and calcium.
Oh how do I get the supplements in her beak? My first flock.

Pry open the beak and stick the pill inside. The esophagus us a direct chute into the crop. It's why a chicken doesn't need teeth to chew before they swallow.

Back
Top Bottom