Please help me expand my coop properly

Eventually water will destroy all structures. Anything you can do to divert it is advisable. If you swapped the run and coop locations that would be an easy fix. And before you make the coop heavier and install HC apron is the time to consider.
Hmm I'm not sure if swapping the coop and run would make any difference. It would just mean the water is flowing to a different side of the garage. It can't be seen in the picture (you can kind of see in the second and third pics if you zoom in), but where I have the prefab coop right now, there is over a foot of overhang on the garage roof, which covers about half of the prefab coop from rain. The side of the garage does not have this overhang. So since it is actually getting less rain in this location, I think I may just keep it where it is. I know it's not ideal, but I'm just trying to do the best with what I have to work with. I appreciate you taking the time to give advice!

Here's a diagram of the kind of airflow you're looking for:

airflow-crayon-png.3007334

And here is a photo of my big coop that shows the skirt in place:

0917211147_hdr-jpg.2950682
Hi again. I was thinking, do you think I could achieve the right airflow if I just kept the top few inches of each panel I cover as hardware cloth? For example, if each panel I am covering is 20 inches tall, I would just make the plywood about 17 inches so the top still gets airflow. I would also still leave that whole panel above the side door as HC like I described before.

What do you think?

Hi again. I was thinking, do you think I could achieve the right airflow if I just kept the top few inches of each panel I cover as hardware cloth? For example, if each panel I am covering is 20 inches tall, I would just make the plywood about 17 inches so the top still gets airflow. I would also still leave that whole panel above the side door as HC like I described before.

What do you think?

Yes, that would work nicely. Just make sure that your roof slopes properly for drainage and has enough overhang to keep the weather out.

The coop almost looks modular enough to rearrange the panels so the roof pitches the other way but stays in the same general configuration, but perhaps that’s too much work for you. Alternatively the simplest way might be to raise the low side of the roof so it pitches the opposite direction. If you’re doing the solid walls this makes it even easier because you will be adding material to attach it to already. You could also just raise it with blocking and hardware cloth over the opening for a big long vent. Hope that makes sense

The coop almost looks modular enough to rearrange the panels so the roof pitches the other way but stays in the same general configuration, but perhaps that’s too much work for you. Alternatively the simplest way might be to raise the low side of the roof so it pitches the opposite direction. If you’re doing the solid walls this makes it even easier because you will be adding material to attach it to already. You could also just raise it with blocking and hardware cloth over the opening for a big long vent. Hope that makes sense
Thanks! Tbh this may be a little above my abilities, but I am gonna bring this up to my dad and his friend who has experience with woodworking and general building. Maybe they will easily be able to help. My dad already told me his friend offered to cut the plywood and 2x4s for me if I give him measurements, so there's a start!

Back
Top Bottom