Please help me figure out who's laying these eggs!

bantambonanza

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 26, 2011
Cupar
I have 8 pullets, and for a while only one hen was laying, so I knew exactly what egg was hers, but now two more have started up and I'm stumped! Below is a link to a photo I took of the eggs we're getting now. I couldn't figure out how to embed the image in the post, sorry!
hmm.png
Maybe I don't have enough posts?

of=50,480,360

The one in the centre is from our Light Sussex who's been laying for a couple months. We have all bantams, our breeds are a Scots Grey, a Scots Dumpy, two Welsummers, a German Longshans as well as the Light Sussex. All of them have very red combs, the Scots Grey has been making an eggs song so maybe the one on the right is hers since they're supposed to lay pale tinted ones. Supposedly they're only small eggs, though, this one seems pretty big, definitely bigger than the Light Sussex egg! (And before you ask, I know that one is definitely the Light Sussex's because I watched her lay!)

And is the brown one brown enough to be a Welsummer egg? According to the egg colour chart I've been looking at online (http://www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/Chicken_a/egg_shell_color/egg_shell_color.php) they're supposed to lay "dark speckled" ones! All the other girls are breeds which supposedly lay white/tinted eggs! Does it make a difference that they're bantams?

Any ideas??

I really want to figure this out, whoever she is she's been our best layer even though we get very few hours of daylight here in Scotland this time of year! I think she deserves some extra treats!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I fixed the link for you.

That egg on the left could be a welsummer. Bantams don't lay as dark as large fowl, but I would still think it would be darker than that. As for speckled, that depends on the hen - some of my LF wellies lay speckled eggs, some more solid.

If I had to guess, I'd say the Langshan laid the one on the left and the Scot's Grey on the right.

Back
Top Bottom