Please help me fine a way to exterminate rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
no they don't they saw antifreeze on your subject line and are now plotting on scratching your eyes out.

If the rats drink the anti freeze or injest poison and then die in your runs or coops your flock would be subject to that very poison since they will eat most anything.

A good cat will work wonders...

Quote:
Thanks. I'll keep that suggestion on the back burner. If the bait balls don't work.
Now I'm getting some positive suggestion how to get ride of the rats.
Thanks again

Quote:
No they don't get in my run or coop but I don't want them on my property. I hate them more then anything else on earth.

Quote:
lol.png
Thanks Boyd. I think you're right man. The reason I did that so I would get some attention to my post. Because most of the post I submit there's no replies. So I did what Americans are use to. The Shock and Scare method

Last edited:
No they don't get in my run or coop but I don't want them on my property. I hate them more then anything else on earth.

If they dont get in your run or coop, then STOP putting out bait that ATTRACTS them to your yard

The rats are ONLY there for food​

Quote:
If they don't get in your run or coop, then STOP putting out bait that ATTRACTS them to your yard

The rats are ONLY there for food

No,even before I got my chicks I've seen them in the daytime and they even get between my wall in the bathroom. And I never used any bait at that time. But now that I have the chickens and a baby in the house I just don't what them around my yard. What do you suggest beside stop putting out bait.
So what you're saying is darn if I do and darn if I don't. Just live with those filthy creatures. What until they come in the house and start chewing on my grand-daughters neck while she sleeps. No! That's not going to happen

Rat Hater.

Hi rstampa and all....
RATS and mice...hate them ! I don't, thank goodness, have rat problems but the mice drive me insane ! They are in our garden shed....nest in the lawn tractor and worst of all, get into our RV. I've tried it all. But those peanut butter balls sound delightful. I will be out tomorrow buying the other "ingredient".
Recently in our local paper there was an article on rats and getting rid of them. You put dishes of dry instant potato flakes. They eat them and seek out water, flakes make them swell up and supposedly kills them.
I tried this for 2 wks in our garden shed...thoughtful as I am, I placed dishes of the dry potato flakes and a small bowl of water nearby. I can tell you, they loved the potatoes and appreciated the water...left TONS of mouse poop but I can't say what became of the mice.
I do buy those Victory traps....I call them "snappy traps". I have seen them very big for rats too. Those mouse traps work !!! And you get to reuse them...once you dump out the occupant. I set mine with a tiny drop of peanut butter waaay back, they stick their heads in and...WHAM ! No more Mr Mouse. They look like big black snappy clothes pins. I get them at Wal-Mart.
Liz
Rochester, MA

I love the "50 gallon barrel of death" approach, and the peanut butter and plaster of Paris one, as well.

A product called Golden Malrin is an excellent rat poison, but has the same problems as anti freeze, as it will kill whatever eats it, and probably whatever eats the dead rat as well. You get a decent sized tub for a few dollars, and I gather it only takes a little.

I have used poison against them. My choice was one that kills the rat but is supposed to be harmless to an animal that eats the dead rat. The chemical name is bromadiolone. One of its brand names is One Bite. I already had a package of it when I ran across the PB/plaster of Paris approach, and have still not used up the bromadiolone, so I have not tried the other.

On the other hand, the rat tunnels all disappeared after I put some bromadiolone down a few. I do have dogs who actively hunt and kill rats, so am not really sure which one got rid of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom