Please Help Me! Glendale AZ

The told me I violated Zoning Ordinance 5.212. That ordinance says:

5.212 Livestock.
A. Raising and grazing of livestock, excluding swine, is permitted for a maximum of
one (1) animal per ten thousand (10,000) square feet of open space. The raising of poultry with
the exception of male fowl, is permitted provided they are contained within a fence or cage.
B. All livestock must be contained in a stock type fence and/or corral. Such fence or
corral shall not be permitted closer than one hundred (100) feet from any residence or living
space on an adjacent lot including pool and patio. For corner lots, no such fence or corral shall be
located closer to the side right-of-way line than the principal building.
C. Accessory buildings used specifically for permitted animals, subject to Section
7.300, provided they are located within the area fenced for animals and maintain the same front,
side, and rear yard requirement as provided for the principal building.

We're actually *permitted* to own hens per this code and the inspector has said it *prohibits* owning them. I think he is confused.

We're zoned R1-6, but so are the other neighbors who have chickens, ducks, goats, sheep, horses, etc.
Chicken are not considered Livestock, B pertains to livestock not chickens.

Glendale, Arizona is the most hostile city I have ever had the unhappy experience to live in--tremendous interest in backyard chickens is in Glendale and yet the complainers get all the attention. The city turns its back on its farmining history and if you don't live north of Bell Road, you are nobody according to our not-so-fine city leaders. I thought Weiers would be be different, but similar to other politicians, he got elected and ignored the very people he was supposed to serve. And then we are encouraged to spend our money here! Glendale could save some money by firing all their code compliance tyrants.

Glendale, Arizona is the most hostile city I have ever had the unhappy experience to live in--tremendous interest in backyard chickens is in Glendale and yet the complainers get all the attention.  The city turns its back on its farmining history and if you don't live north of Bell Road, you are nobody according to our not-so-fine city leaders.  I thought Weiers would be be different, but similar to other politicians, he got elected and ignored the very people he was supposed to serve.  And then we are encouraged to spend our money here!  Glendale could save some money by firing all their code compliance tyrants.  

Not sure where you are but Bart Turner cares, in fact he himself wants chickens. Please speak at the next council meeting, they need to know that more residents in Glendale want chickens in Glendale.

Last edited:
Received this email yesterday evening. Finally some movement:

Okay Glendale residents, here is the first meeting. We just received from city of Glendale. It is a non speaking meeting, but bodies show support too:

In regards to allowing chickens as pets in residential neighborhoods, the City Council will receive a presentation and recommendation from city staff on December 15 here at City Hall. The workshop will begin at 1:30 in Council Chambers - Room B3. At this time we do not know the order of the agenda items. Sometimes these meetings can run very long so I will do my best to notify you when I know where this item is placed on the agenda. Please reach out to our office if you do not hear from me by Friday, December 11. Workshops are information only meetings that inform the City Council of needed information. For the December 15 meeting, the Council will not vote to approve or reject a new policy that allows chickens as residential pets, but it will give you an opportunity to hear from members of the City Council who choose to ask questions and share their input.

Best regards,

Council Assistant, Barrel & Cholla District
Glendale City Council

UPDATE**
Item of Special Interest {Backyard Chickens} Council Workshop – Postponed to January 19, 2016 Glendale, AZ
I spoke with Ryan Lee {assistant to Bart Turner} today. He advised that the workshop scheduled for December 15th to discuss backyard chicken keeping has been postponed until Tuesday, January 19, 2016. See below e-mail from Ryan:

Hi Shelly,

Staff is currently researching and preparing a report to the City Council regarding allowing chickens as pets in residential neighborhoods. We were informed last week that the report will be shared with the Council on January 19, not December 15. We apologize for the delay and look forward to seeing you at the Council Workshop on January 19.

Best regards,

Ryan Lee
Council Assistant, Barrel & Cholla District
Glendale City Council
623-930-2250

If you haven’t had a chance to contact your council member you still have over a month to do so, this also means that we have the extra time frame to reach out to more city of Glendale residents.

Please spread the word about the meeting change, I know there were a few individuals including us that were planning on the meeting this month.

We did it!!

City of Glendale council has instructed staff to create an ordinance to allow backyard chicken keeping.

In our excitement and being on cloud 9 we should mention that the ordinance still has to be written, there is still a process that the city is required to go through to change the ordinance and the city will determine certain restrictions that will apply, such as number of hens allowed, noise, nuisance etc...

This also does not change any HOA restrictions that may be in place regarding backyard chickens.

HOWEVER it is a huge step in making backyard chickens legal in the city of Glendale, and have no doubt they will be legal.

Just don't count all your chickens before they hatch, but feel free to do the chicken dance!

The city of Glendale, AZ Planning and Zoning are reviewing the zoning and will possibly be making amendments to the code for backyard chickens in all single-family residential housing in Glendale, AZ.
We need support, we need Glendale residents to sign petitions and volunteer to collect signatures from their neighbors. The neighbors don't have to want chickens, just sign that they are okay if their neighbors have chickens.
There is a facebook page Glendale Backyard Farmers Movement, see link below, all information about upcoming meetings will be posted there. If you reside in Glendale, please ask to join to stay updated. If you already reside in a city that allows chickens your input is valuable too. The city of Glendale needs to know if you've had any issues with neighbor complaints or your experience of having a neighbor with chickens.
There are a lot of naysayers and fear mongers who don't understand backyard chickens, who are voicing their opinion for not supporting this.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/336573933344032/

On February 7, 2017 City of Glendale Council decided not to move forwarded with the chicken ordinance.

Backyard Chickens are still illegal unless you are zoned for it in the City of Glendale, AZ....

There is still an underground movement going though. If you want to stay up on it, please ask to join our group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/336573933344032/

We are trying to determine what our next step will be in this process.

Back
Top Bottom