Please help me identify Frank N Chicken

srslychickning

Songster
8 Years
Dec 5, 2011
Garner, NC
Hi Everyone,

I need your opinions. We got three day-old chicks in June. Two were obviously roosters, with distinct combs and tail plumage. The third had no comb, short feathers and I was sure she was a girl. From what I know, all from the same clutch of eggs. Here are pics of her today, at 6 months old. Is she a "she" or a "he"? No crowing, no noise, not bothering the other girls, but she's the biggest of my chickens and those tail feathers look awfully suspicious. Still no comb, though.

Also, any guesses on her breed? She was supposed to be a Dominique, but obviously there was some hanky panky in the coop. Which is fine, but now I'm curious. Let me know what you think!

113247_img_3140.jpg

113247_img_3143.jpg

113247_img_3149.jpg

I am no expert at breeds, but the tail feathers def. look like she's a he, so the name should stay Frank (and not Frances)

But at any rate here's a bump for you, maybe someone else knows the breed?

And BTW,
welcome-byc.gif

His comb is a Cushion Comb not a Pea Comb.
At best I would say he was a Dominique cross, I wouldn't call him a "EE" I see no real proof that he has EE, Ameraucana or Araucana chickens in him.

Cushion Comb;
A solid low, moderately small comb; smooth on top, the front, rear and sides are nearly straight with rounded corners. It has no spikes.

Pea Comb;
The Pea comb is a medium length, low comb, the top of which is marked with three low lengthwise ridges, the center one is slightly higher that the outer ones. The outer ones are either undulated or marked with small rounded serrations. This style comb has many variations that are still referred to as a pea comb.

Chris

Last edited:
3 of the 4 EE's I got last spring have cushion combs, so EE cross gets my vote. too, only b/c I think hatchery EE's are the most likely place for someone to get a bird with a cushion comb plus a beard.

Looks like a barred easter egger with that comb and that beard. Probably had a BR mother and an EE father. Just guesses though for the breeds. Definitely a mixed. 100% male!

ETA: Just so you know for future reference, females will not have red in the wings like that (if they are not a red bird of course
wink.png
)

Can you get a closer picture of his comb? Looks like a pea comb to me from the images, but it's hard to tell.

Last edited:
looks like a dominque and ee mix. the only reason i say ee is the red/brown on the wings (maybe even a crole(sp) color)

Back
Top Bottom