Please Help me nebulize Oxine

amanda1

Songster
6 Years
Aug 5, 2015
I have a chicken who was diagnosed with aspergillosis in April. We've tried anti fungals, natural supplements such as garlic and oregano, and other immune system boosters. I was hesitant to try oxine based on lack of information. I'm now ready to try to nebulize her. Please help me figure out what type of mister or nebulizer I can use. My budget is limited and I see some of these items can cost over $200. Can I use a regular humidifer? Any advice is welcomed!

I am not familiar with oxine, so I can not offer any advice.

I would like to know who diagnosed this bird and what her symptoms are?

I have a chicken who was diagnosed with aspergillosis in April. We've tried anti fungals, natural supplements such as garlic and oregano, and other immune system boosters. I was hesitant to try oxine based on lack of information. I'm now ready to try to nebulize her. Please help me figure out what type of mister or nebulizer I can use. My budget is limited and I see some of these items can cost over $200. Can I use a regular humidifer? Any advice is welcomed!
I wasn't familiar with this and after reading your post I looked it up. I found this thread here on BYC. Hope it helps:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...please-share-usage-dosage-storage-etc.562407/

I am not familiar with oxine, so I can not offer any advice.

I would like to know who diagnosed this bird and what her symptoms are?
She saw a vet in April because of my observations of her having heavy breathing. The vet diagnosed her with aspergillosis in her air sacks, and said she had dry rales. The vet said it is hard to diagnose for sure, but by process of elimination came up with that. Based on all the research I did for months prior to the vet visit, I agree with the diagnosis. She has been wormed, and shows no signs except for heavy breathing, occasional head shaking, and she is a bit lethargic. She has a great appetite and free ranges with the flock, although often she is lying down while they are foraging.

I use Oxine regularly, both activated and non-activated. I have a fogmaster Jr. that I bought but occasionally if I don't want to go through the whole production, I just mix up some non-activated Oxine solution and put it in one of these fine mist spray bottles I bought on amazon (Groom Industries Solvent Free Sprayer, Flairosol https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D7BJ6MW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_CEPKdUu5JNFoy), then spray the air around your chickens (while they're in the coop is usually best) several times a day for 15-30 min while symptoms are present.
You don't want to put the solution in any sort of heated humidifier, but I would say a cool mist humidifier would be fine. Keep the sessions to no more than 30 min though and make sure you never use ACTIVATED Oxine around your birds.

For anyone reading this article for information, my sad update is my hen died. I had a necropsy done and she didn’t have anything wrong with her respitory system. She had an enlarged oviduct, which eventually burst, and she was an internal layer. Goes to show even a vet may not diagnose your chicken properly.

Back
Top Bottom