Please help me sex my welsummers!

If you do keep a hen and a rooster, you can look forward to this!!View attachment 1888984

That would be very fun.

Yeah, sorry. The prognosis is poor.

It is. Have to say I'm a little upset but I'd rather find out now. These were supposed to be "unsexed straight runs". 4:1 roosters to hens makes me think I've either got terrible luck or someone was a little dishonest about them being unsexed.

That is so disappointing! And pretty bad luck, as well. But don't let that discourage you from keeping chickens. Getting unsexed straight run is really a bad chance of getting pullets. Always try to buy sexed, unless you plan on butchering the cockerels.
Do you have room for more than 4 birds? If so, but you only want to end up with 4, you might want to get three more while you can. Maybe some sex-link chickens that can be easily sexed at hatching, so you will only get pullets. You can do a small amount of research to find out which kinds. black sex links is one I can think of off the top of my head, but there are several.
You could keep the 3 cockerels until they are fully feathered, or get rid of them now. Male Welsummers are beautiful birds. You should be able to get rid of them on Facebook or Craig's list pretty easily. Good luck!

I wanted to buy sexed but only unsexed chicks were available. I am very disappointed. The roosters are very friendly and it'll be disappointing to have to get rid of them. There are some hens for sale on Craigslist that are already laying eggs for very cheap. I may try my luck again some other time. I have these guys listed on Craigslist now. :(

That would be very fun.

It is. Have to say I'm a little upset but I'd rather find out now. These were supposed to be "unsexed straight runs". 4:1 roosters to hens makes me think I've either got terrible luck or someone was a little dishonest about them being unsexed.
Hate to break it to you, but Welsummers are auto sexing.

Meaning you can tell the boys from the girls at hatch.

I guess I'm just not sure what to do from here. Ditch the whole flock and buy some full grown hens that are already laying, or should I try to keep my lone hen?

Keeping one chicken is not fair to the chicken. I'd rehome and try again

I suppose you are right. I just looked on Craigslist and saw that there are plenty of grown hens for sale very inexpensively. It takes the fun out of raising them up but I guess it also doesn't come with the gamble of receiving roosters again.

Sorry to be such a downer, I am just so discouraged with how this has turned out.

I suppose you are right. I just looked on Craigslist and saw that there are plenty of grown hens for sale very inexpensively. It takes the fun out of raising them up but I guess it also doesn't come with the gamble of receiving roosters again.

Sorry to be such a downer, I am just so discouraged with how this has turned out.
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom