Please Help Me Sex These 7 Week Old Red Sex Links (TONS OF PICS)

CitySilkies88

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
NE Ohio
I am pretty sure I have all pullets but there are a couple who I wonder about. This is a huge photo dump but I wanted to try and get lots of pics at all angles. So look at all these pics and if anyone looks like a cockerel point him out please :).

And before anyone says anything, the netting is for the divider to keep them from eating the layer feed meant for the Silkies.

From what I see, they all look like pullets. My RSL is 9 weeks old and is a pullet. She looks the same as yours! Looks like you got a bunch of ladies! (I hope you have more than one bathroom or else they'll be fighting to get ready in the morning!)
tongue.png

All pullets.

Ordinarily it is easy to distinguish male from female at hatch with sex-linked birds. There are the occasional odd balls however which is how I came to end up with four cockerels in an order of sixty red sex-link pullet chicks. I'm still a bit annoyed with the hatchery about that.

Awesome :). Thanks everyone. I am not keep all six unfortunately because I live in the city and already have the three Silkies. And I feel like 9 chickens is just too much. So a friend of mine with a farm is excited to come and get three of my girls. I just wanted to make sure if there was any chick that was male it would go with her lol. It's good to know that they are all girls though. That means I can for sure keep the three I have bonded to the most. Though it's not going to be easy to say goodbye to the other three. This is my first time raising chicks and I have gotten very attached to all those little boogers.

This is just proof that some pullets do get their waddles in earlier and I won't jump the gun on some of mine that others on here have called a rooster at 6 weeks old! Thanks!

You shouldn't have to sex a Sex Link. That's the point-they are sexable at hatch due to male and female being a different color. If you had a male, he'd be mostly white, at least in the red sexlinks.

Here is what a red sexlink rooster looks like: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/Eric8Mos.JPEG

A black sexlink rooster looks like a badly barred Barred Rock rooster and the females are mostly black with some gold in the chest and hackle areas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom