Please help me solve this enigma

krasi

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2018
Hello, I am a complete newbie in incubating eggs and I hope you can help me! Just over three weeks ago I bought six indian runner eggs from a guy. I put them in my incubator and I candled them at 7, 14 and 20 days. They seemed to be developing normally, although air cells were on the small side so I kept decreasing the humidity. Imagine my surprise when I had an external pip at 21 days. At the beginning I thought it was a premature duckling, but when it came out, I realized it is a chick! Thankfully it seems to be doing well in my hastily prepared brooder.

I have just candled the rest of the eggs. They look exactly the same as the chicken egg in shape and color. The air cells are intact and they have grown well since last time I candled. The rest of the egg is mostly dark; I cannot see any shadows or fluid etc. I cannot see any movement but I've never been able to as I normally want to put the eggs back into the incubator as soon as possible. So my question is the following: Are these likely to be chicks that died before hatching due to me treating them like duck eggs? Can these be duck eggs and should I keep them in the incubator? Maybe I am hoping against hope here, but would the air cells be intact if the chicks had internally pipped and then died?

If the size shape and color are the same.....then I think you need a refund from the seller since I would assume they are all chickens. I would let them ride for a while longer with high humidity to see what pops out. At this point there is nothing else you can do other than see if anyone else hatches.

yep other than the cost of the eggs possibly being different, you either got scammed or the seller legitimately didn't know.

Back
Top Bottom