Please help me to identify gender...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wolfinator, Jan 15, 2016.

1. wolfinator

wolfinator Out Of The Brooder

I have figured out which is which for the gender with all my other chickens, but this one is still puzzling me. I have no other ones of the same breed to go by. Also can someone tell me what the exact breed may be, I know he/she is a Bantam Cochin, but what specifically. Thank you for your help. I've only had my chickens since last July and am still learning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These photos were taken between August and December 2015.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    looks like a pullet to me either a hatchery bred cochin or mixed cochin. Body and feet look cochin, head and crest are not.

3. yellowherb

yellowherb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Florida
    4 or 5 toes? It resembles a silkie cochin cross to me with that crest. 5 toes would pretty much guarantee it.
    Doh moment, silkies do have 5 toes don't they? lol

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Definitely not a pure Cochin with that crest and what appears to be a pea comb.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

It's a girl [​IMG]. I agree she looks like a silkie/cochin mix as a best guess.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Sorry, I forgot to add gender. It's definitely female.

7. wolfinator

wolfinator Out Of The Brooder

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm glad the consensus is a hen, especially since I've got 5 roosters already. She is very docile and her feathers are super soft, I think she does have 5 toes - all my chickens do, including my "Red". I bought all my chickens from a friend who had gotten them from several hatcheries around the country. Most are Silkies and Showgirls along with a Rhode Island Red/Silkie and her. I lost several in the first few months of having them due to illnesses and fights among the roosters (didn't know they were until I asked on here) I lost my Showgirl rooster on 1/1 after the temperature dipped to about -7 with wind chill, but I think my other roosters may have killed him where he had an attitude towards them. I have my coop wrapped in heavy clear plastic vented at the top several inches under the front and back overhangs and it stays fairly decent in there. All my roosters sleep together, just wondering if this is common or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by