Please help me understand meat eaters not wanting to process a chicken!

feel like there is a huge and unacceptable disconnect between people and their food. Somehow we've gone from valuing and appreciating our food to thinking that it is dangerous, dirty and just plain "yucky." I guess Joel Salatin says it best “The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.”

quoted from Page 6

Last edited:
feel like there is a huge and unacceptable disconnect between people and their food. Somehow we've gone from valuing and appreciating our food to thinking that it is dangerous, dirty and just plain "yucky." I guess Joel Salatin says it best “The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.”
"Unacceptable" is an unacceptable term to use in regards to the legal choices that people make. It is legal and acceptable for people to eat food which they have purchased and have had no hand in cultivating or killing. Perfectly legal. Perfectly acceptable. What is unacceptable is intolerance to other people's choices.

While humans may be omnivores, we also have very large brains, which helps dictate the choices we make. Some choose meat, some do not. Some choose meat that others kill, some do the killing themselves. Neither choice is right. Neither choice is wrong.

Supposedly my O Negative blood type makes me predisposed hereditarily to be a meat eater, but I often choose not to be. I like my veggies. There are supposedly other blood types that hereditarily (is that even a word?) predispose someone's body to thrive on food that is gathered, versus food that is hunted. It's only a theory, but sort of makes sense. Either way, both groups of people should not be stigmatized publicly for shopping at grocery stores versus growing/gathering/hunting their own food. Let alone not wringing their own chickens' necks.

Not to mention, this forum is called BACKYARD CHICKENS. My neighbor would call the cops if he saw blood running under his fence and headless chickens hanging from the fenceposts.

Let's just all get along and be a little more tolerant, okay folks?

The word "unacceptable" was is reference to people being blissfully unaware of how their food is produced, it had nothing to do with what a person chooses to eat. I feel that if a person chooses to eat meat they need to know how that meat got into their table (same with veggies, cereals, kelp buds, whatever you want to eat)

What one chooses to do with that information is up to them.

I'm 63 years old and have never killed an animal nor would I ever want to. I keep chickens for the eggs. I do eat meat but like someone else to do the killing.
It is just that I don't like it. If I am ever hungry and need to kill to eat I would, but I just don't need to and don't want to.
I hope you can understand that it is not because I am a lame brain I just have a different view of animals and feel differently about them than you do.

The word "unacceptable" was is reference to people being blissfully unaware of how their food is produced, it had nothing to do with what a person chooses to eat. I feel that if a person chooses to eat meat they need to know how that meat got into their table (same with veggies, cereals, kelp buds, whatever you want to eat)

What one chooses to do with that information is up to them.
I realize that, but my point was the intolerance of so many here in regards to people who don't kill their own chickens. I'm okay with either opinion, but so many on this forum are not. I was just pointing out that it is OKAY to buy your food at the grocery store. Or not. There is no law that says you HAVE to be okay with slaughtering what you eat. Even in the olden days, some people were simply farmers and bought their meat from the neighbor down the road. I grew up with cattle blood in my veins. I understand where food comes from, but it's okay with me that some people think it grows magically in the freezer section at Kroger. Sometimes it is a CHOICE to be blissfully ignorant. I am sort of freakishly adamant about people's liberties. So offense intended, just trying to stand up for people's rights is all.

Cute little girl in your avatar. I bet she looks like her momma!

I'm 63 years old and have never killed an animal nor would I ever want to. I keep chickens for the eggs. I do eat meat but like someone else to do the killing.
It is just that I don't like it. If I am ever hungry and need to kill to eat I would, but I just don't need to and don't want to.
I hope you can understand that it is not because I am a lame brain I just have a different view of animals and feel differently about them than you do.
Exactly.

"Unacceptable" is an unacceptable term to use in regards to the legal choices that people make. It is legal and acceptable for people to eat food which they have purchased and have had no hand in cultivating or killing. Perfectly legal. Perfectly acceptable. What is unacceptable is intolerance to other people's choices.

While humans may be omnivores, we also have very large brains, which helps dictate the choices we make. Some choose meat, some do not. Some choose meat that others kill, some do the killing themselves. Neither choice is right. Neither choice is wrong.

Supposedly my O Negative blood type makes me predisposed hereditarily to be a meat eater, but I often choose not to be. I like my veggies. There are supposedly other blood types that hereditarily (is that even a word?) predispose someone's body to thrive on food that is gathered, versus food that is hunted. It's only a theory, but sort of makes sense. Either way, both groups of people should not be stigmatized publicly for shopping at grocery stores versus growing/gathering/hunting their own food. Let alone not wringing their own chickens' necks.

Not to mention, this forum is called BACKYARD CHICKENS. My neighbor would call the cops if he saw blood running under his fence and headless chickens hanging from the fenceposts.

Let's just all get along and be a little more tolerant, okay folks?
I was quoting someone from page 6 and copied and psted forgot touse the quoet button but I stand and agree with what was posted int he content. we have become a fat lazy nation wanting others to do what we should be doing ourselves.

Will I ever force this on other NOPE, but that is just how I feel. Does it make it right or wrong NOPE and neither is how others feel. Like I stated just my personal feelings.

I am sorry, but I have know idea what you are saying.
Animals have been killed by airplanes shortly after airplanes were invented. Critters were hit by autos since autos (critters were hit by wagons and buggies before that).

If those are attributed to a modern lifestyle, the lifestyle is about a hundred years old.

Overpopulation is mostly either from poor subsistance farmers or from the mindset left over from when we farmed that we needed children to keep businesses going (as Hungry said--thank you Hungry!) (only in the last few decades when contraceptives became an issue did lies about contraceptives influence teen pregnancies). Places all over the world vary and some practices of having many kids derive more from old religion than farming (though I believe those practices were influenced by farming--history can be fuzzy for some countries). The world is a complicated place with many, many, many lifestyles, both modern and ancient.

Yet, the problems of dead animals by vehicle or overpopulation are old ones.

Back
Top Bottom