Please help me understand meat eaters not wanting to process a chicken!

Quote: Actually, I have found it to be a misconception and stereotype that people who butcher their own meat feel differently about/view animals differently than those who chose not to kill their own meat/those who do not eat meat when referring to feelings such as empathy, respect, love, etc. not sure if that is the difference you meant in your post though.

What does Joel Salatin know about people who have to live in an apartment complex? As far as being so almighty, Joel didn't even start his own farm, his parents gave it to him.
There is a disconnect, yes, but that is not the fault of the individual. No one should be critisized for his place in life. Each and every one of us live in a "social" order, none of us do
everything for ourselves, including killing our own meat. I would bet that you do not spin your own toilet paper or cook up your own toothpaste.
The problem is that the food industry has become grossly corrupt, greedy for profits and unconcerned for the health and welfare of the people they serve and the animals they tend.
That leaves us searching for a better way; but for those of us who still don't have our own farms with access to home grown fruit and vegetables and pasture raised meat we
shouldn't be looked upon as fat and lazy, ignorant of where our food comes from nor should we suffer any of your put-downs. We are all doing the best we can with what we have.
Some folks don't even have a car to go to the farmers market, give them a break.

So you think I am fat and lazy because I won't murder my food? Sorry to offend you.

It is not murder.

My point is that we are forgetting the skills of our grandparents (or further back depending on how old you are) I was talking us as a nation look at how big we are. If I am correct we are the fattest nation on the planet. and the most what can you do for me with least amount of work on our part nation.

Sorry but those are facts. I am not talking about apartments or any single person but a nation as a whole. Sorry if I offended you it was not meant that way

Of course there are people due to what ever that can not. BUt even 100 years ago not every one did it. But to act like it is cruel to raise them for meat. Well sorry that hamburger you got at micky d's did not die of natrual causes.

With everything that goes on people need to learn these skills just in case something happens

Last edited:
You don't have to understand it. It's just their way. There's A LOT about me others don't understand but I always appreciate it when they accept me and my ways even if they don't understand my motives. Now, if they are disruptive or disrespectful to others at the demo's then it is time to give 'em the boot. Seriously, I would calmly stop the demo and politely suggest they leave.

With everything that goes on people need to learn these skills just in case something happens
That is exactly why we started raising livestock in the first place. when the economy tanks and meat costs $20 a pound (if it's even in the store) I'll know that we have the ability to care for ourselves. Plus I like knowing that the meat I am eating, and more importantly, feeding my child was raised and killed humanely. Our animals eat naturally, without antibiotics and hormones. they run and play and lounge in the sunshine and do what animals are supposed to do.

I realize that not everyone is in a place where they can do that. I realize that there are people who don't want to slaughter animals for the simple fact that they just DON"T WANT TO. that is fine. What I have a problem with is people who don't have the foggiest idea about where their food comes from. They pat themselves on the back for buying "free range" and "grass fed" meat, eggs and dairy at walmart, not knowing that those terms mean absolutely nothing to the animals' well-being in the industrial food complex. They don't know how an animal is killed or processed. I'd wager that when most people eat meat they couldn't even tell you what part of the animal it came off of.

How are we, as a people, supposed to be able to give thanks when we don't know where our food came from or how it got there?

More importantly, I have to wonder why people are so paranoid about food safety once the food is in their own kitchen, but they don't care about anything that happened to it before that. They don't care that their roast beef was once standing knee deep in manure, or that it traveled hundreds or thousands of miles to get to them, or that it was handled by dozens of people before they got it. Those are all things that scare the crap out of me.

Thanks. Actually she looks nothing like me, gets that blonde hair and blue eyes from her dad. Lol
wink.png
smile.png

What does Joel Salatin know about people who have to live in an apartment complex? As far as being so almighty, Joel didn't even start his own farm, his parents gave it to him.
There is a disconnect, yes, but that is not the fault of the individual. No one should be critisized for his place in life. Each and every one of us live in a "social" order, none of us do
everything for ourselves, including killing our own meat. I would bet that you do not spin your own toilet paper or cook up your own toothpaste.
The problem is that the food industry has become grossly corrupt, greedy for profits and unconcerned for the health and welfare of the people they serve and the animals they tend.
That leaves us searching for a better way; but for those of us who still don't have our own farms with access to home grown fruit and vegetables and pasture raised meat we
shouldn't be looked upon as fat and lazy, ignorant of where our food comes from nor should we suffer any of your put-downs. We are all doing the best we can with what we have.
Some folks don't even have a car to go to the farmers market, give them a break.
Agree.

As a vegan I can't understand it either as it smacks of hypocrisy - get someone else to do the dirty work and worse still purchase animals that have been raised in diabolical ways. For me, I think every life is precious and to those of you who take that life multiple times over, I don't understand you either!

www.viva.org.uk, www.animalaid.org.uk
Mitzi,

First, I respect your choice to be vegan. You have made a choice that works for you, and that is a good thing. But I have to ask why are you reading threads that are devoted to people raising chickens and other fowl for meat when you find those practices horrible? It makes no sense to me. Are you one of those vegans who enjoys taunting meat eaters and calling them names, and then complains about how vegans are treated so terribly by those wicked carnivores when the people you have provoked respond?

ok, just getting here, read page 1- 10, and then ran out've time..

I have not yet, killed our own chickens, I do however drive them to proccers. I watch, I'm hoping to get over it by watching. plus I learn a great deal, by watching. i feel guilty buying meat from the grocer, as I know, it's not treated as well, as mine are.
If I go to McD's again, I feel guilt... Pull one of my chickens out've the freezer I feel pride.. Someday, I hope to do the deed. i was raised, a town girl, so never saw it. Step, by step, I will learn. I've had people offer to show me, I'm not ready yet. But I will keep watching and learning, and hopefuly, I will be ready before my kids ;)

That is exactly why we started raising livestock in the first place. when the economy tanks and meat costs $20 a pound (if it's even in the store) I'll know that we have the ability to care for ourselves. Plus I like knowing that the meat I am eating, and more importantly, feeding my child was raised and killed humanely. Our animals eat naturally, without antibiotics and hormones. they run and play and lounge in the sunshine and do what animals are supposed to do.

I realize that not everyone is in a place where they can do that. I realize that there are people who don't want to slaughter animals for the simple fact that they just DON"T WANT TO. that is fine. What I have a problem with is people who don't have the foggiest idea about where their food comes from. They pat themselves on the back for buying "free range" and "grass fed" meat, eggs and dairy at walmart, not knowing that those terms mean absolutely nothing to the animals' well-being in the industrial food complex. They don't know how an animal is killed or processed. I'd wager that when most people eat meat they couldn't even tell you what part of the animal it came off of.

How are we, as a people, supposed to be able to give thanks when we don't know where our food came from or how it got there?

More importantly, I have to wonder why people are so paranoid about food safety once the food is in their own kitchen, but they don't care about anything that happened to it before that. They don't care that their roast beef was once standing knee deep in manure, or that it traveled hundreds or thousands of miles to get to them, or that it was handled by dozens of people before they got it. Those are all things that scare the crap out of me.

I agree that people might not WANT to process their own meat that is fine. But at least learn so if and when it does get that bad that they are not one of the people going to starve or rob others because they have NO clue on what to do. I say do it once and or read up on it and watch videos so that if it does come down to that.
That is what I meant by learning how to survive look at gas just 10 years ago I paid 1.19 per gallon and today I paid 3.96 we are not talking 20-30 years just 10 years it is not like our wages are increasing by that much. I am not one to trust others to take care of me.

I also get a kick out of those people with the "Free Range" "Grass fed" organic. I looked into getting certified as that is the new food rage. cost was well over 2000.00 and every year you have to be inspected. Wanna bet my eggs and meat are just as good if not better as it is fresher with out half that cost.

Back
Top Bottom