Please help me understand why it's OK for a rooster to crow....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
One of my coops is "blackened" (haven't put the windows in yet
smile.png
). It's softens the crow, though. They will crow throughout the day anyhow. It's not like you can train a rooster not to crow and there are many people (like myself) who enjoy the sound. I would take it over a barking dog and traffic any day.

I am lucky I guess that the only neighbors who complained moved away. They would complain about the goats baaing and the horse neighing as well
roll.png
, while revving their POS truck (which their driveway is outside our bedroom window) all hours of the night and day!! Hello!!! :mad: I was so happy when they moved, I was dancing on the front lawn.
lol.png

I too am curious how long has this been going on. Like Jaruca, we have a train that goes by several times a day (and night) it is close and will rumble the house a bit. Plus where it is close to a road crossing we can here the whistle. I don't even notice it anymore.

Anyhoo...I'm allowed to have roosters, my new neighbors knew I had roosters before they moved here, but if my new neighbor decided to up and confront me about them one day, I think I would look into getting Guinea hens as well.
wink.png

Haha, I adore you! Our closest neighbour at the new house is about 100 feet from the side of our house, although we'll be living on 8 acres. I can hardly see how they would have any right to complain about chickens, or horses, or dogs, seeing as their MASSIVE king shepherd barks non-stop ALL DAY LONG, and is kept oudoors night and day...so you can see, I'd be really really confrontational if they reported us hahaha.

Cock-a-doodle-DON'T, if having crowing roosters is against the law where you live, then your neighbor is breaking the law and you have every right to report her.

Since it's really that simple, I have to question why you chose to pose this question on a chicken board (where there obviously are going to be a lot of people who love chickens, crowing roosters included) and then be suprised when said people do not agree with your views?

Quote:
i actually agree with the OP and i still think that "venting" here was a troll maneuver. OP has given up on talking to the offending neighbour so has found some other chicken enthusiasts to vent on, ones who won't chuck things at his/her house....
wink.png

Chellester, I think that is a fair question. I can't speak for Cock-a-doodle-DON'T , but I almost always check out the websites sympathetic to both sides of an argument when I am genuinely trying to come to a conclusion for myself. It helps to hear both sides.

I think he posted here because he is a genuinely nice guy, on the fence so to speak, about how to assert his rights under the law and still see himself as the good guy he is.

Cock-a-doodle-DONT, don't worry about it. You ARE a good guy, and you ARE within your rights to complain. If you don't want her to lose all of her birds, say so in the complaint. State in writing that you don't mind the hens but just are at wit's end with the roo... If she blows a gasket from that, she's missing a screw and pay her no mind from thence forth. If she "needs" fertile eggs she can buy them. She doesn't need a roo in a city with ordinances against them. If she "needs" a roo, she needs to move. that simple.

I've always had roosters crowing around here for some...11 years now. And we never had one complaint about them though I live out in the country and outside our twon so I'm allowed to have them. My neighbors have had tons of dogs that eat my birds and I've had issues with them but I approached them in a friendly manner and at least with respect on the times the dogs really upset me. I've tried to just get along with my neighbors because we all got along before I had the birds and they shouldn't change the way things are now they are here. It's all about respect one another when issues come up and work them out instead of confrontations. We have new neighbors who just moved in behind us and they look like they cam from the city and I'm not sure how things will go once they really settle in and hear the roosters but I intend to try and keep the peace going.

Thank goodness I don't have you as a neighbor you would really be ticked off my roosters start crowing when i get up to go to work at 2:45 am, I'm just glad my neighbors enjoy hearing and seeing my birds.

I think a lot of good points have been made and I think this thread has run it's course.

Thanks for your participation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom