Please help me. What happened to my chickens?

ariri30

Free Ranging
7 Years
May 18, 2015
Fair lawn nj
:hit:(This morning I found feathers everywhere and I cannot find my chicken snowflake. No blood no body only feathers. Two chickens flew to my neighbor’ Yard they are back now. and the rest were in the coop scared. I looked around and couldn’t find anything but when I looked up there was a possum on the tree that is inside the run. Could it be possible that it killed her and took her and came back for more? I was able to nocked the possum Down off the tree but I cannot find it. I’m heart broken right now

:hit:(This morning I found feathers everywhere and I cannot find my chicken snowflake. No blood no body only feathers. Two chickens flew to my neighbor’ Yard they are back now. and the rest were in the coop scared. I looked around and couldn’t find anything but when I looked up there was a possum on the tree that is inside the run. Could it be possible that it killed her and took her and came back for more? I was able to nocked the possum Down off the tree but I cannot find it. I’m heart broken right now
:hugs:hugs
Yes, it could have been the opossum. You will need to spend the day going around your coop making it predator proof. Have you found where it got into the coop?

:hugs:hugs
Yes, it could have been the opossum. You will need to spend the day going around your coop making it predator proof. Have you found where it got into the coop?
I never locked it. In 5 years never happened to me. I close the door at night but never locked it

Attachments

• 2BEB54F9-FCE0-433E-BF36-7055CC548EAF.jpeg
    2BEB54F9-FCE0-433E-BF36-7055CC548EAF.jpeg
    730.1 KB · Views: 5
I never locked it. In 5 years never happened to me. I close the door at night but never locked it
Again, I'm so sorry you lost one of your chickens this way. That's a very hard way to learn the lesson that you must lock up each and every night without exception.

I'd set a live trap and dispose of the opossum... They're an animal that will never give up, they'll come back until everything is gone. I'm sorry for your loss, it's always hard when a predator finds a way in.

If you don't want to permanently get rid of the opossum, you can relocate it. I know some states have laws about relocation and such so just look into those beforehand.

Again I'm sorry for your loss and good luck with everything

Be aware that in many areas it is illegal to “transplant” wild animals so if you live trap you will also need to kill an dispose of the remains. Once a predator has a taste of chicken you can be sure they will be back for more. Sounds like you have been lucky up until now. Several people have written that you need to fortify your defenses and go into lockdown from dusk to dawn. Fall and spring are the worst time as animals are trying to get fat enough for winter and then have a nice meal to recover in the spring. Good luck.

Be aware that in many areas it is illegal to “transplant” wild animals so if you live trap you will also need to kill an dispose of the remains. Once a predator has a taste of chicken you can be sure they will be back for more. Sounds like you have been lucky up until now. Several people have written that you need to fortify your defenses and go into lockdown from dusk to dawn. Fall and spring are the worst time as animals are trying to get fat enough for winter and then have a nice meal to recover in the spring. Good luck.
Thanks. If I’m successful in trapping it I don’t even know if I would be able to kill it. But I know I need to do something

Back
Top Bottom