Please help me with me guniea pig!

chickenmama109

Crowing
Mar 5, 2017
texas
Hi! My guinea pigs name is Oliver! He is my best friend! He is under a year old! I had to give him a bath two days ago because he has long hair and has knots! So I gave him a bath and cut his hair! I was brushing him today when I realized his butt is swollen!! Like it’s big! I have no idea why! I have a pic below! I have done a few things different that I can think may have caused it! He got a new bedding? Maybe the soap I used for his bath? And I had no idea guinea pigs had grease glands and so I have not cleaned his! Could one of these be a reason? Someone please help! Now that I know about the grease glands I am cleaning it! But what could be causing this! He squeals when I try and looks down there! What is wrong!! And he never lets me look at his underside so I just now seen that his under carriage is dirty! I have cleaned it after the photo! 01B6937A-90D0-4830-B41A-06611F05E98E.jpeg 5E10AC4B-9152-4B79-B88B-6F348B6B313A.jpeg B04D5A5F-501A-43D9-B128-6683EFE575EC.jpeg 629A1BBA-25D0-4033-B04B-10F44C664AAF.jpeg And this is the soap I used! I was going to get him special guinea pig soap but for that day to get the knots off I used this CBC420B2-42CD-4F1A-A18C-30E92FBCE36C.jpeg please can someone tell me what wrong!? Thank you for taking the time to read this! I appreciate it!

NatJ

Free Ranging
Mar 20, 2017
USA
You say this guinea pig is male: has he been neutered? Because if he has not been neutered, I have one idea for what those two large bulges might be ;)

(I don't know much about guinea pigs, so I'm just suggesting this as one thing to consider.)

chickenmama109

Crowing
Mar 5, 2017
texas
You say this guinea pig is male: has he been neutered? Because if he has not been neutered, I have one idea for what those two large bulges might be ;)

(I don't know much about guinea pigs, so I'm just suggesting this as one thing to consider.)
Haha no he is not neutered and yes o figures out what they were too! 🤣 I don’t know why I thought they were supposed to be internal 😬 my bad haha

hayley3

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
Ok..so are they his testicles? Hard to tell from the pictures....they look awfully big for a guinea pig. I had one that looked like that but now I don't remember if it was a girl or boy.

chickenmama109

Crowing
Mar 5, 2017
texas
Ok..so are they his testicles? Hard to tell from the pictures....they look awfully big for a guinea pig. I had one that looked like that but now I don't remember if it was a girl or boy.
Well, I feel bad but I had to touch them to find out if it was a infection, they are not hot to the touch and they are not hard! 🤮 I’m sorry I know it’s super gross lol! At this point I’m not really sure, that is what I thought too though they seem kinda huge lol! 🤣🤣

NatJ

Free Ranging
Mar 20, 2017
USA
Well, I feel bad but I had to touch them to find out if it was a infection, they are not hot to the touch and they are not hard! 🤮 I’m sorry I know it’s super gross lol! At this point I’m not really sure, that is what I thought too though they seem kinda huge lol! 🤣🤣

Male animals do seem to have amazingly large testicles, compared to the size of the animal. I've seen photos of bulls and male goats, and I have personally seen male rabbits, and I've butchered roosters--all pretty impressive. I think the roosters and the adult male rabbits had ones that were almost the size of my thumb: just as big around, and about 2/3 as long.

room onthebroom

Animal-a-holic
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 4, 2015
100 Acre Wood Pooh Corner, USA
Male pigs have massive testicles. His look perfectly normal to me. Stop squeezing them.

Is he popping? Eating? Drinking water?

If you ever have to bathe him again I would consider buying the special guinea pig shampoo that they sell at the pet store, or at least a milder shampoo like a baby shampoo. Also make sure he’s dry before bed so he doesn’t get a chill.

coach723

Free Ranging
6 Years
Feb 12, 2015
North Florida
Am curious how the guy is doing. My original answer was based on my assuming that this was a change from what was usual. Would be good to know if all was normal after all. :confused:

Top Bottom