Please help me with my coop roosting bars

Upinsmoke

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Almost finished with me coop

My ideal was to have the roosting bars attach on the door side and be able hinge up while cleaning

Now I'm questioning if the chickens will be able to get to the nesting boxes behind the roosting ladder on the door side? It is 4'x6' not including the nesting boxes.

I'm new to raising chickens so cut me some slack. Should I just forget the ladder and put some 2x's across the whole coop opposite the nesting box wall? Thanks for any all help!

Mike

Ok so you don't have to worry about frost bite. I use a 1x3 so the hens squat on their feet and they don't get frost bite.

They will easily be able to get into that sort of blocked nesting box. I have 4 hens (soon to be 6) and 3 nesting boxes but they only use one. How many chickens will you be getting?

I have 10 four week olds there is nesting boxing and you think it will be fine to have the roosting ladder installed about 3/4 way up on door side?

I have 10 four week olds there is nesting boxing and you think it will be fine to have the roosting ladder installed about 3/4 way up on door side?
Personally I would find moving the roosting bars every time I had to go into the coop annoying. I built mine this way. 6 Chicken can fit easily on the roost bar. My hen house is about 4x4. I would go with 2 2x4's spanning across. build a cup to sit them in so you can easily pop them out and change them whenever you need to or to easily get in for cleaning.

I have 24 chickens that are 5 weeks old right now, and I have a roosting bar ladder that goes up to about 5' tall. It hinges up to the ceiling so I can clean under it and so far I have had it held up since I figured the chicks were too small. When do you think it would be safe to let them up on the roosting bars?

Back
Top Bottom