Please help me with oxygen flow in my bator *PICS*

Well, the temps in my 'new and improved' bator were holding steady enough, but after a whole evening of adding another water jar, sticking a sponge cloth in it, and waiting for the humidity to stabilise, adding yet another water jar, adding one more bloody water jar etc etc, I had an incubator that was so full of water jars I hardly had enough room for the eight eggs to go back in it. And the humidity was still barely reaching 60%. I left it overnight and in the morning it was still below 60%. I think what I'll need to try is a raised mesh floor and almost the whole floor area of the bator underneath the mesh covered with shallow water trays, and a piping-in system so I wouldn't need to open the lid to refill them. But I've had enough of it for now, so I'll figure that out another time.

I've left the duckies in the wonky bator that I think I have fixed. Two small water trays brought the humidity up to 70% within five minutes. I have the max/min thermometer in there with them so I can check the temps are staying stable. I just did one last candle and weigh before I shut them in for the weekend, and I could clearly see strong movement in three of the eggs. Six of them are at the right weight but two of them are way too heavy, so I'm suspecting those ones stopped developing a while ago. But all of the eggs do look exceptionally full of duckling, so I might be wrong...

Quote:
Yup, I did that too. It didn't work. Well, it raised the humidity by about 5%, to 57%. Not enough!!!
The bator is still running with all the jars and sponges in it, it looks quite funny really...

Quote:
Yup, I did that too. It didn't work. Well, it raised the humidity by about 5%, to 57%. Not enough!!!
The bator is still running with all the jars and sponges in it, it looks quite funny really...

do you have a picture?
that humidity should be reading higher with that much in it.. have you calibrated the hygrometer?.. if you have.. try closing off a couple of the top holes with some tape and see what that does

we used to use shot glasses and sponges for the old homemade bators.. usually that would bump them up past 70 with no problem

Back
Top Bottom