PLEASE HELP ME!

RUDS

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2015
South Africa
hi there

u hope you guys are well?

Please help my?

I am from SA and I have a small farm with a few animals.

my question today is as follow?

I have 3 geeses 1 male 2 female, my lady has been lying eggs for the last 3 weeks she was very slow in the beginning but for the last week she has been givng me a egg every second day. she has a total of 7 eggs now but has not begin to become BROODY it does not even look if she is close. all the eggs is layed in her small house I build under grass in one pile. like I said there is 7 eggs now and she is still not broody and September is almost over in one day. should I be worried please help me?

regards
Rudi

Tank you guys. I have Put in chicken eggs, but will remove it again lol.

Just a quick question again, for the last 2 nights my geese has been on her eggs the hole night but she gets off in the morning. Does this mean she is getting close to being broody or is this not right??
I was with her now and she is lying on all the eggs as well as the chicken eggs?? Must i leave it or remove it???

Regards
I wouldn't leave the chicken eggs under her if they break which is likely since the shell on chickens eggs aren't tough like geese and ducks eggs you'll run the risk of bacteria getting into your gooses eggs.My water fowl ducks and geese start out laying on them at night, soon the broody hormones kick in and you'll have a full time broody. Your call on the chickens eggs.

Last edited:
All broody birds will get off the nest for a brief period. In hot weather it can be up to 2 hours. In cool weather it's more like 20 minutes. I've had some that missed a day getting off.
I usually have them in their own apartment with fresh bedding so I can count the number of those monster feces.

Quote: I haven't seen it here. Their enclosure is an 8x10 shed, with a lot of hay bedding. I think if you keep plenty of room around them, soft bedding they will be fine. I do have wood "bumpers" around the inside edge of my goose coop, a baby can go under them if it feels afraid. Learned that trick from watching how hogs are raised, and seeing how tiny piglets are at birth. Keeping them undisturbed especially at hatch is important too, a startled mother goose will react quickly. I can see that causing a trampling situation. I always talk to my geese before going into the house if I know they are broody, so I don't startle them. The Embden startle a lot easier than Chinese, just the breed.

i thank you guys so so much for the info...
could you guys please read my following question on my Chickens as well?

Hi there.

Hope you guys are good?

could someone PLEASE PLEASE help me?

I have about 30 chickens.. al my lady chicks have been lying eggs crazy I get about 10 eggs a day I took a lot out but I left 48 eggs to be hatched, so I have 6 nest.. my question is not one of them has become broody yet why would this be? what I don't understand is there is 2 chick that lay on there eggs the hole nigt from when I let them in wich is about 17:30 til when I open them at 6:00. then they will go back and lie eggs and that it. please help me am I to quick or am I just dum??
big_smile.png

Regards
Rudi

You're not dumb, just inexperienced.

Many chicken breeds have had the desire to raise a family bred out of them. In SA there may be more breeds that are prone to be setters.

If your ones that sleep on the eggs also stay on them most of the day, you may have 2 broody hens.
What you have to do is mark the eggs that are under them and remove any extras that are volunteered. Otherwise there will be a staggered hatch and the embryos that are left when the hens come off the nests to care for the live chicks will die.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Some breeds are more prone to go broody than others. Some get broody constantly and others never go broody at all. So, just because you leave a bunch of eggs out, does not mean any of your hens are going to go broody. At this point it does not sound as though their hormones and instincts have taken over and told their bodies to go broody. Other things can also influence their ability to go broody such as length of the day, hours of sunlight, nutrition. season, molting, etc. Perhaps you want to use golf balls or egg shaped rocks in the nests until you know they are broody for sure. That way you are not wasting eggs in the meantime.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom