Please help, my baby chicks are limping

luckygarden

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Leander TX
This morning I found out 2 of my baby chicks are limping when they walk, they are 6 days old
before they walk normal but last night one baby had problem with her/his right foot then few hour ago I saw another baby had the same problem but with right leg, I've never seen this problem before, please give advice how to help them
hit.gif
hit.gif

thank you

What are you feeding them? Are they on chick starter mash?

Sometimes this is a sign of a vitamin B deficiency. You can give them a few drops of PolyViSol liquid baby vitamin without iron in their water, or get some Avian vitamins and mix according to package directions.

Good luck.

I had a chick with that problem, at exactly that age. She seemed to be getting "run over" by the others. I made a separate area in the brooder for her with some hardware cloth, her own food and water, and let her rest. I also gave her a drop of poly-vi-sol twice a day. After two days of mostly sleeping, and crawling to the food and water, she was up and ready to join the flock. Today she is smaller than the others, but she is healthy and takes no flack from anyone (she is also the brightest one). Good luck with your chicks!

Thanks for your suggestion, i gave them baby vitamin Poly vysol and one of the chicken is walking normal now

except one chicken (2 weeks old), looks like she had slipped tendon

Can I put something (such as sponge, band aid) on her leg to fix the leg.

We have a chick that is favoring one leg since yesterday. It is under a week old and the bones feel fine. If it is a vitamin deficiency could it only effect one chick out of 20? All the others seem fine so far. Although we did just loose one last night. That chick seem to just weaken and die over the past few days. It was never limping...

We have 20 born today. 1 sits with 1 leg out and hobbles. The others pick on him so I removed him. I can't see a visible prblem. Will vitamins help? Anything else?

Separation is your best policy I have fixed them in past 28th a straw and rubber band between ther lower leg leave on 24. 30 hours it sucks to watch them strugle but so worth it for them they are young so they do heal fast

Back
Top Bottom