Please help! My chick just died!

Yessur Ebob

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Pennsylvania
1) What type of bird , age and weight. It was a black langshan, and only a few days old, I don't know what weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. It acted like it was choking, then went into convulsions and died.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? It died within about a minute of my noticing.
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I don't know of anything.
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. It was acting normal earlier this evening.
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Don't know.
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? none
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? We don't have money to take them to the vet.
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. No pics
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Wood chips in a stock tank.

I went into my room to get something and noticed that one of my black langshan chicks wasn't running around like the others, so i reached down and touched him, but he wouldn't move. I saw that he was gasping, and a minute later he went into convulsions and died.

Please tell me what is going on, I have 12 more chicks that were with him and I don't want lose any more of them.

Last edited:
Everytime I get a shipment of chicks, I have at least one die within the first day or two. We just received a shipment of chicks and, as I was putting them in the brooder one by one, I noticed one was lethargic and had it's umbilical cord still attached. I doctored it and it died over night. I don't think you have anything to worry about with your other chicks. When they are young, some just aren't as strong as others. With new chicks, I have experienced the same thing as you where they are fine one minute and the next they are not. Just keep an eye on them but you'll probably be okay.

Back
Top Bottom