PLEASE HELP MY CHICKEN! She is panting

Pics
Oh well, it was just a suggestion, it worked pretty well for my chickens but they weren't quite as sick as poor old Maigo :( :hit
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get the notification. Thanks for your suggestion. Maigo is much better now, almost back to normal eating well and finding wormies in the garden🙂 I can't believe she could come back from the condition she had.

Greetings Niwatori hen,

Your hen is critically ill. She has a swollen crop, swollen belly and congested lungs. The swollen belly is called "ascites", it is fluid produced by the liver, probably due to an infection somewhere. The crop is has fluid due to the digestive system shutting down from the infection. I will be honest with you, this is a lot for a hen to recover from.

However, there are things you can try. Number one, keep on giving the antibiotic.

She needs some Milk Thistle to support her liver and kidney function. If you can get this in Denmark that would be great.

She also needs a diuretic to rid her body of the excess fluid build up (the ascites). Dandelion herb is needed. Perhaps you can find a product with Dandelion in a health food store.

Electrolytes in the water are needed. You can make some yourself. Here is the formula. I have done the conversion from U.S. measure to metric, for you.

Electrolytes Solution
1 cup water (250 ml)
2 tsp. Sugar (8.4 grams for sugar)
1/8 tsp. Salt (.75 grams for salt)
1/8 tsp. Baking Soda (.75 grams for baking soda)

Combine and store in the refrigerator.

- Dilute this into one gallon (3.78 liter) of water.

- Or, you may administer 1 mL, full-strength, with an oral syringe for illness or shock.

Because your hen has aspirated once already, you should soak a piece of bread with the electrolyte solution, roll into little ball(s), and place it in her mouth to swallow on her own.

She needs to drink water, hopefully she is drinking on her own. And she needs nourishment to have the strength. See if she will eat the pasta, noodle, and rice cooked. These things are fine for a chicken to eat, as long as, they are cooked.

A multivitamin for chickens would be beneficial too.

Soak all liquid supplements in a piece of bread, this is called drenching. Drenching makes administering liquids supplements, and medications safer for novice chicken keepers, and even old timers like me!

These are some products I have used with great success.

Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Detox, is a liquid and has Dandelion and Milk Thistle in it, as well as other herbs. It has helped several of my hens with ascites to rid the excess fluid in the belly. I put it in the drinking water, and administer some full strength, with an oral syringe.

View attachment 2583252

Liquid Hepato is a fluid suspension with Milkthistle to support the liver during infections. It also has B vitamins.
View attachment 2583254

This herbal product is in tablet form. It has Goldenseal (antibacterial properties), Echinacea (Immune system booster), Dandelion (diuretic), and other herbs. I use this after a chicken is done with antibiotics, but not fully recovered.
View attachment 2583256

You've done good by keeping the hen in the house where it is warm. Do what you can for her. This is not an easy fix. Even if she recovers, hens with ascites usually relapse later. But, they can survive for another year to year and a half with proper care, after the initial illness.

These are my thoughts on Maigo's health issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God's Blessing to your little Maigo for a full recovery! :hugs
How much to you add to drinking water and how much to you dose full strength of the lily of the desert? Also full strength how often do you give? Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom