Please help my chicken!

Carajean

Chirping
Feb 16, 2019
2 days ago I came in the coop to find this poor girl hiding with other chickens pecking at her. I pulled her out. She keeps eyes closed unless I make a loud noise. Basically lays there, will take a few steps and lay down. Eating and drinking but not much. Open beak breathing. She is about 1, all the other chickens are normal.
15956367533116007315678865269078.jpg

she's not well, and that's why the others attacked her, and why she has her eyes shut most of the time (as we take to bed when we're not well).

Keep her separate till she gets better. Watch the rest for any sign of the same symptoms - it may be infectious, and separate them too if they show it.

Keep up the food and drink for the invalid(s), and hopefully recovery will be swift and complete.

I am sorry for your bird. She looks miserable. Does she rattle when she is breathing? Is her crop swollen and spongy feeling? There are so many things to check. Perhaps someone on BYC will be kind enough to supply a check list for you . Can you take her to a vet?
I do give my hens children’s antibiotic which appears to work for a lot of mystery ailments. The suggestion from another reader to isolate her, in case it is something the others might catch... also to protect her from harm from other hens sensing she is weak...great idea.

I hope she gets better soon !

I am sorry for your bird. She looks miserable. Does she rattle when she is breathing? Is her crop swollen and spongy feeling? There are so many things to check. Perhaps someone on BYC will be kind enough to supply a check list for you . Can you take her to a vet?
I do give my hens children’s antibiotic which appears to work for a lot of mystery ailments. The suggestion from another reader to isolate her, in case it is something the others might catch... also to protect her from harm from other hens sensing she is weak...great idea.

I hope she gets better soon !

Thank you, she is isolated in another barn. Yesterday she shook her head once and I think a little moisture came from her nose. It could have just been water. No rattling. Im treating her for gapes, but what antibiotic do I use for respiratory besides vetrx which I also started? That's not an antibiotic

she's not well, and that's why the others attacked her, and why she has her eyes shut most of the time (as we take to bed when we're not well).

Keep her separate till she gets better. Watch the rest for any sign of the same symptoms - it may be infectious, and separate them too if they show it.

Keep up the food and drink for the invalid(s), and hopefully recovery will be swift and complete.

Thank you, she is separate in another barn altogether.

Hi, I am sorry I am late in my reply. I hope she is showing signs of recovery. The antibiotics I get are from a pharmacy . They ask the weight of the bird and they simply pass over antibiotics they say are for children. I get them in an ointment form also for those pesky bumble foot sores (after the infection has been cleared out) which they do get here as they cut themselves on the rocks... we are in the Pacific islands and they have a lot of rocks in the soil where I am... and the prescribed dose from the chemist does work quickly for all sorts of things which don’t add up.
Other readers might be horrified to read that I give this to sick birds but here as it is so humid any sores or ailments seem to act quickly. If yours has an infection of some sort at least the lower dosage will certainly help the poor girl.
I am not any sort of expert, but my hens are all happy and lay tremendously, even the old ones.

Give her gentle loving will help too. I am convinced birds know when they are being cared for and respond amazingly to attention.
I do so hope she gets better.

Thank you Cluck-a-lot....
She is not better, but no worse. She seems content to be loved on. She eats and drinks, then goes back to sleep. I ordered some antibiotics too. Nobody from the coop she came from is sick.

Hi.. I am sorry I haven’t been on site for a while. I would love to know how your chicken is doing. The fact that you are loving her is so heartwarming. I wonder how the antibiotics are working for your patient? The fact that she is eating and drinking is wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom