Please help my chicken.

FriendlyFlyer

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
I have 9 female chickens, 6 golden comets and 3 black-sex linked chickens. All but one live perfect lives. The loner "Buttercup" is always away from the group just standing there...I know she's at the bottom of the pecking order. The other birds don't pick on her all the time but they give her a peck now and then when she is in their way (but they all get pecks once in a while). She does, however, get to eat and drink in peace.
I don't know if you're familiar with it, but she is always fluffed up. She never has her feathers laying flat against her like the other hens. She looks like a football with legs. Why is this? She hides in the nest boxes (but as far as I know she doesn't lay or sit on eggs). Tonight, I went in to check on them and she was standing in the middle of the floor. I picked her up and put her on the lowest roost away from the other hens and she didn't move. Her legs literally made contact with the roost, she grabbed on, and stood there...didn't move or settle in or even sit down. She DOESN'T DO ANYTHING! Please help me. I want to make her happy or find a way to help her.
By the way, she has been like this for as long as I can remember, lethargic and motionless. I put treats right in front of her face but she barely moves to touch them. Please please please help. Thank you.

That's the thing..I don't know how. Plus I don't have any pics on hand and they are all sleeping right now.
idunno.gif
Sorry! Is there a certain feature you need described? She looks completely normal, just puffed up. Her eyes are normal as well as her comb, feet, beak, and all. She's just simply puffed up, like any chicken when they shake their feathers, except hers don't go down, she leaves them puffed.

Last edited:
When a chicken behaves different from the norm, it could be for many reasons. This is one reason I find this particular forum so fascinating.

You might try to rule out physical problems first. Test her sight and her hearing. If she doesn't see well, she isn't going to be moving around much since she can't see where to go. The same goes for hearing.

Chickens have a full range of personalities and behaviors. Some are bold, some are shy. Some have a mean streak, some are very laid back. It could be that she simply has a quirky personality. However, the fact that she often stands around with her feathers puffed out might indicate she feels threatened. If she doesn't see well, this may be a defense mechanism for protecting herself against what she can't see.

That you can hold food in front of her and she won't accept it may also be a clue that she doesn't see well. She may even be blind.

I commend you for caring so much about your girl that you want to try to make her life a happy one. I hope you can figure it out. Please keep us posted.

Thank you, I will try to get some one-on-one time with her tomorrow and see about her eyesight. Thank you so much, that would explain why she doesn't walk up to the roost at night. That would explain a lot. I will keep you posted. And thank you so much.

It seems my worries began too late...Buttercup passed away today. I don't know when but I got home and she was laying on the ground, dead. Thank you all for your concern but Buttercup's worries ended today.

I'm sorry. I did want to notify you that when hens are puffed up they are not feeling well and even cold. Something that screams sick chicken to me is could she have been eggbound? When was the last time she laid? Something to think about. I am sorry she didn't make it.

Back
Top Bottom