Please help! My chicken's wing has been torn off by my dog!!

Noahgg13

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 17, 2013
My chicken is an adult French Copper Maran (hen), and I went into my back yard and found that my dog had pushed through the gate and torn off my chicken's wing, bit her on her back, and you can see the meat!
hit.gif
(shudder) We sprayed it with chicken wound spray, and put gauze on it. We have put (homemade) electrolytes, a little bit of aspirin and apple cider vinegar in her water. She has a large chunk taken out of her back, and we are trying to clean it. She is currently sleeping, and we are checking on her a lot. After she rests and drinks a little bit, we are going to give her a half a CC down her throat of Tylen 50. Anything else we should do?

Thank you for your help!
smile.png

Last edited:
Short of taking her to a vet I can't think of anything else. Around here vets don't see chickens so its home doctoring all the way. Might give her antibiotics to prevent any infection. I sure hope your feathered friend pulls through.

The aspirin could cause bleeding, so I would probably not use it again. Chickens can do pretty well after deep wounds with good care, and preventing infection, along with good nutrition. Wounds should be cleaned with betadine, hibiclens and water, or dish soap and water, then patted dry. Stop any bleeding with pressure for several minutes. Apply Neosporin or Triple antibiotic ointment (plain) twice a day. Look for any swelling, redness, foul odor or puss drainage at the site. These type of wounds may need a few weeks to close up. Offer some scrambled egg and wet chicken crumbles to eat, and vitamins and probiotics would help. Vets have better antibiotics to fight wound infections if it is possible. Amoxicillin is good, and Procaine Penicillin G injectable is available at the feedstores in the refrigerated section.

Update:

She has lived through the night, and is awake, but still needing rest and sleep. Wounds look pretty much the same, and we're still cleaning them. She's sitting up a little better, and trying to get up. Still really exhausted from last night, but I 'm hoping she's doing better. We have given her some of the electrolytes/apple-cider/vinegar water through a dropper. She hasn't eaten any food yet, so I'll be watching for that through out the day. Tylan 50 is a antibiotic, so I'm going to put some in her water.

Thank's for all of ya'll's help!

(Forgot to mention, it's a small dog (Japanese Chin) that has a small muzzle. I think the wounds are shallower than they would be if it had been a bigger dog.)

Last edited:
Tylan 50 is used for the treatment of respiratory diseases, and some bacterial intestinal diseases. Vets will often prescribe clavamox or Baytril for wounds. Tylan is broad spectrum (treats gram positive and negative organisms) so it may help. Is she alert or in shock? I have had chickens without a mark on them die from shock after an attack, and have seen many chickens online here that have been severely injured just do fine. A lot of it depends on their mental status and how well they eat. Wishing your chicken good thoughts for a good recovery.

I had a dog do this to a goose. It was horrible. Vet would not treat her so we were on our own. We sprayed the wing area with scarlet oil and did that every day. Kept her separate in a clean area inside. When it first happened I did give a bit of sugar water in case she was shocky. We did not have any antibiotics for her but had amox for our little dog so that is what she got. She did survive but it took a very long time to heal. I hope your chicken pulls through and heals quickly.

Update:

Sadly, she died this morning, despite our best efforts.
hit.gif
The place where her wing was hurt was too much for her. (Plus I think it may have been infected, even though we cleaned it.)

Nevertheless, Thank all of you for your advice and help.
smile.png

I'm sorry for your loss. She may have suffered internal injuries which can be common in these cases. That may have been why she wouldn't eat and drink.

Back
Top Bottom