Please help! my chixs r digging

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by billie26, Sep 30, 2007.

1. billie26

billie26 New Egg

Sep 30, 2007
    My RIR are free range and loving it but they are digging up my yard. They have 2 acres and pretty much have dug it all up. Is there anything I can do to stop them besides keeping them in there coop?
    They are 5 months old and just started laying. The digging just started about 2 weeks ago. I have 10 of them.

2. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    I dont think there is anything you can do..they're looking for food at expense of your lawn lol!! they dont have to have all 2 acres..you could fence them into something alot smaller,and they would be just as happy..50 yardsx50yards chicken wired off.and they'll still be plenty happy,and you can still call them free range.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    probably digging and throwing the dirt on thier backs?? they are bathing, ! will pick a spot then since that is THE spot to be they all dig thier own little holes so it looks like the moon in that area. dont think there is anyhting to do but fence off areas you dont want them or fence them into area where you dont mind the holes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by