Please help my hen, appears she's been attacked

I hear what you're saying and I'm torn..but I've decided to give her penicillin and sprayed her with Hydrogen peroxide. I have her inside the house in a crate with a brooder heater...and now I can say I've done all I can to try to save her. So now I leave it in greater hands than mine, after all, he is the ultimate healer. 🙏🙏🙏 Praying for a miracle!
If you gave her the shot, you should know by tomorrow morning if she will recover.
She should show improvement and start eating.
My rooster was also not really eating much by the time I gave him his first dose.
I was surprised when he just started pecking it it. Like he knew it would help him.
I hope your girl makes it.

I hear what you're saying and I'm torn..but I've decided to give her penicillin and sprayed her with Hydrogen peroxide. I have her inside the house in a crate with a brooder heater...and now I can say I've done all I can to try to save her. So now I leave it in greater hands than mine, after all, he is the ultimate healer. 🙏🙏🙏 Praying for a miracle!
Yep. Oh I’m not telling you one way or another, I’m the same way. I sent a prayer your way as well. It’s not our choice it’s His.

Sorry that your hen was injured. Could she have been attacked by a hawk or other predator? If a hawk hit her with a lot of pressure, that could have caused internal injuries. If your rooster did this, it must have been a very sharp spur. Check his spurs and blunt them with dog nail clippers and a file, if they are found to be sharp. Treat the wound with saline or a wound spray such as Vetericyn, Hibiclens and water 1:1, or weak Betadine. Apply Neosporin ointment to the wound when dry. Keep her on clean towels or puppy pads to keep her wound clean. After she rests some, offer water up to her beak with a small cup. A tsp of sugar per cup of water may give her some energy. Fluids are most important. Scrambled egg, watery chicken feed can be offered as well. I hope that she survives.

I am hoping that you will see imprisonment tomorrow.
I was extremely close to putting down my rooster but couple people told me I should try to save him.
I saw him on the roost this evening, next to his girlfriend. (Young hen that has been staying close to him since I put him in her enclosure).
Until tonight he has slept on the floor.

Thank you everyone for all the love, support and advice! At least I know I've done everything I could and I thank yall for helping me do that. She will be missed terribly 😪😪 now I've got to get rid of some roosters, I can't let this happen to anymore of my girls!! 💔

Sorry for your loss. I have always had a rooster, and only once had a young one scalp a hen. He was gone that day. Most of the time the roosters are good and protect their hens. I would look around for any hawk activity, just in case it wasn’t a rooster.

I am so sorry she did not make it. 😔
Yes, you did try to save her. That is all we can do. Give them the best chance possibly within our limited abilities.

What is your ratio of roosters to hens?

Back
Top Bottom