PLEASE HELP! My PET GANDER appears to have worms and I have NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE...

Can you return it and get one of the others instead?
He does not belong to those breeders, these are just people who specialize in Canada geese legally for many years and my gander is half Canada. I have had him for 3.5 years. I know the breeders because I got goslings from them in the past 6 months. I wouldn't give this guy up for anything lol.

I meant return the dewormer and exchange it for one of the ones I mentioned above.
Oh lol sorry .
My brain isn't working. It's a tiny town in TX, I will call them tomorrow to see but from what they told me, this was the only one they had. It's a little bitty bitty feed store with a few extra items in the country in TX. LOL one member did mention some other items I may be able to use, that are branded for other animals, but are ok for geese. I will call tomorrow to see if they carry any of those. Thank you for the idea.

Do any of you think I should be taking him out of the heat during the day? I'm in TX .. 100-110 with humidity around 30-40% .. no end in sight. It cooled off a little tonight (low 80s ) but it'll heat back up.. no break, no storms or rain in sight... If he has gapeworms, is the heat and humidity bad? One person said it likely is... So I just want to check. My birds are acclimated to the current climate, so I don't want to break that unless I have to.. he is also VERY attached to his "adopted goslings" (about 10 weeks old lol) and I don't want to stress him out.

Do any of you think I should be taking him out of the heat during the day? I'm in TX .. 100-110 with humidity around 30-40% .. no end in sight. It cooled off a little tonight (low 80s ) but it'll heat back up.. no break, no storms or rain in sight... If he has gapeworms, is the heat and humidity bad? One person said it likely is... So I just want to check. My birds are acclimated to the current climate, so I don't want to break that unless I have to.. he is also VERY attached to his "adopted goslings" (about 10 weeks old lol) and I don't want to stress him out.
I would take him out of the heat.
Coughing like you described can be caused by worms, so I would worm him as a precaution, but the coughing can be caused by other issues including bacteria, viruses, fungal, or even the heat.
Sometimes intense heat can stress a bird and cause inflammation in the air sacks “airsacculitis.”
Airsacculitis is a term for inflammation of the air sacks, which it can be caused by any of the other things I mentioned too. Sometimes it can be caused by a nasty little bug called mycoplasma, which will bring this on any time the bird is stressed from excessive heat or cold, or even just stressful situations.

I’ve used fenbendazole on my geese, it’s what’s in safeguard and panacur, Casportpony knows the dosages better than I do.

What brand of wormer was it that you got from the feed store? It might help to get the proper dosage of we know the brand and percentage of fenbendazole it has. A picture of it will do just as good.

Last edited:
I just reread your first post, I didn’t realize Poultry dewormer 5x was the name of the brand.

I looked it up, Jeffers has it. Dosing looks tricky, I’m used to using the horse paste.

Attachments

• 2679E88D-77BD-425F-A654-B26650D94166.jpeg
    2679E88D-77BD-425F-A654-B26650D94166.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 7
  • CDD105FE-FBC6-4309-BCC6-87C4B65336AE.jpeg
    CDD105FE-FBC6-4309-BCC6-87C4B65336AE.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 7
What do his droppings look like?

I’m guessing they’re runny, which is normal if he’s been in hot weather, but have you noticed any foamy droppings, bloody red or black in them, or what looks like stringy red or orange bits?
Sometimes intestinal worms or an intestinal infection can cause gas or internal inflammation that can also press on the lower airsacks and cause coughing.

What do his droppings look like?

I’m guessing they’re runny, which is normal if he’s been in hot weather, but have you noticed any foamy droppings, bloody red or black in them, or what looks like stringy red or orange bits?
Sometimes intestinal worms or an intestinal infection can cause gas or internal inflammation that can also press on the lower airsacks and cause coughing.
I checked his stool this evening, when I brought him in to dose him a low dose for tonight. But let him go back out to his crying baby's. His stool is small.. but firm. No black, no red, and no visible worms. Very dark green with obvious digested grass. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. I did add a link to a video I added to my gooses YouTube channel of his breathing. It's a short clip that is not including all of it.. but it could give you a idea. He also kept making very high pitched squeeks with big gasps for air. This evening, he laid down and wouldn't get up .. struggling to keep his eyes open .. but not like he was falling asleep... I decided to dose him a partial dose tonight because I wasn't 100% Sure on the dose, as my stupid weight scale is broken! 🤦
Y'all must think Im a complete mess...
(I'll be asking the neighbor to borrow hers tomorrow. ) 🙄😮‍💨

I checked his stool this evening, when I brought him in to dose him a low dose for tonight. But let him go back out to his crying baby's. His stool is small.. but firm. No black, no red, and no visible worms. Very dark green with obvious digested grass. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. I did add a link to a video I added to my gooses YouTube channel of his breathing. It's a short clip that is not including all of it.. but it could give you a idea. He also kept making very high pitched squeeks with big gasps for air. This evening, he laid down and wouldn't get up .. struggling to keep his eyes open .. but not like he was falling asleep... I decided to dose him a partial dose tonight because I wasn't 100% Sure on the dose, as my stupid weight scale is broken! 🤦
Y'all must think Im a complete mess...
(I'll be asking the neighbor to borrow hers tomorrow. ) 🙄😮‍💨
You’re not a mess, you’re in the same tough spot a lot of us are in.

Back
Top Bottom