PLEASE HELP! My PET GANDER appears to have worms and I have NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE...

A lot of people around the forums haven’t had much success with ivermectin from what I’ve seen. I remember one post about a roo with suspected worms that wasn’t getting any better despite being given ivermectin, then they gave him safeguard and he had dead worm diarrhea within the day.

Ivermectin does make their bodies more or less unpleasant to mites from what I’ve heard though.

Maybe someone else here with more expierience with ivermectin can add in.
The only reason why I was thinking that one, was because the breeder said he gives it to his birds twice a year and because when I looked it up online it said it works faster then the other commonly used wormers. It did say that it struggles to kill hook worms and will likely need additional treatment for those. I just liked that it supposedly works faster for many of the other worms like Gapeworm, but this is all based on .com articles .. so who knows. But nowhere does it specify which ivermectin it is 🤦

A lot of people around the forums haven’t had much success with ivermectin from what I’ve seen. I remember one post about a roo with suspected worms that wasn’t getting any better despite being given ivermectin, then they gave him safeguard and he had dead worm diarrhea within the day.

Ivermectin does make their bodies more or less unpleasant to mites from what I’ve heard though.

Maybe someone else here with more expierience with ivermectin can add in.
If you know? (I'm also looking it up )
What is the active ingredient in safeguard? How does one treat with safeguard? Dosage for geese? Personal experience? How fast do they show any relieve in symptoms?
My biggest issue is his breathing... Since he is struggling I'm hoping to get whatever has the best chance to kill whatever worms are cutting off his air supply asap.. which from what I read are likely gapeworms. I'm still confused on all the disagreements on the dosing for fenbendazole too. One person said 15 mg per pound, another said 1 capsule treats 4-6 lbs with only 6.75 mg in each capsule... I haven't found any resources where it says 15 mg per pound. Only the other one that's on the bottle... But if I'm not giving him enough... But on the other hand... Doesn't 120 mg a day sound like a lot? Idk.. I love this guy and feel like I'm misunderstanding everything 😮‍💨

If you know? (I'm also looking it up )
What is the active ingredient in safeguard? How does one treat with safeguard? Dosage for geese? Personal experience? How fast do they show any relieve in symptoms?
My biggest issue is his breathing... Since he is struggling I'm hoping to get whatever has the best chance to kill whatever worms are cutting off his air supply asap.. which from what I read are likely gapeworms. I'm still confused on all the disagreements on the dosing for fenbendazole too. One person said 15 mg per pound, another said 1 capsule treats 4-6 lbs with only 6.75 mg in each capsule... I haven't found any resources where it says 15 mg per pound. Only the other one that's on the bottle... But if I'm not giving him enough... But on the other hand... Doesn't 120 mg a day sound like a lot? Idk.. I love this guy and feel like I'm misunderstanding everything 😮‍💨
Safeguard is fendbendazole, you can use the liquid safeguard for goats and safeguard horse dewormer, I use the horse wormer on my birds occasionally.

Dosage for safeguard horse dewormer paste (fendbendazole) is 0.23 ml per pound once a day, usually for 5 days. The liquid goat wormer is the same dosage. With both you do need a syringe to get the right dosage though.

As for the pills, I can’t say, I’ve never used them and honestly the dosage seems confusing to me looking at the bottle.

I think the reason some aren’t getting good results with ivermectin could be because worms can develop tolerances to wormers, that could be the issue people are having, ivermectin was the go to wormer for awhile, but popularity can be bad, especially with medications.

As for Pretty Bird, I just saw your livestream on YouTube and I’ve been thinking about his symptoms.

I had a gander I suspected of having gapeworm, but his issue was something completely different, so to be clear I’ve never seen a goose with gapeworm, gapeworm in chickens causes them to gasp in a way that is different than when there’s a respiratory illness, chickens with gapeworm tend to stretch and gasp, whereas respiratory issues tend to cause open mouthed, sometimes rapid, breathing without a stretch. The only time I have seen open mouthed breathing with a stretch in a goose was when my gander was in shock, or possible cardiac issues, after a beating from another gander.

Some chickens with gapeworm

The times my birds have had something in their airway or stuck in their throat they’ve usually tried to dislodged it by shaking and hacking pretty violently, so I imagine if they had gapeworm it would give them that feeling of something in their throat/airway and be trying to hack it up.

Pretty Bird isn’t shaking his head around or stretching and gasping like a chicken would with gapeworm, but he’s breathing heavily with his mouth open, which I have seen with respiratory illnesses in geese, basically pneumonia, or airsacculitis.

The wormer could help, but I strongly think that parasites aren’t the issue, or aren’t the only issue going on.

The best way to tell would be some Veterinary testing, which I understand isn’t a possibility “it isn’t for me either so don’t feel bad” but because of that it’s hard to say what the issue is.

If bacteria or a virus is the cause you might see other birds coming down with it, if it’s mycoplasma (technically a bacteria) it’s really slow spreading but inevitably all will get it too, but different birds are effected differently. In my flock I suspect I have it going around and for unknown reasons it effects my biggest gander far worse than others, my smallest females don’t seem affected at all.

If it’s viral all you can do is keep him comfortable to help him clear the virus which he may do depending on the virus.

If it’s fungal “aspergillosis ” it can be treated if caught early, but even that isn’t a guarantee, but it’s incredibly costly and lengthy and most birds do not survive the treatment or the disease. The prognosis is sadly very poor, the drugs that kill the mold can be just as toxic and damaging as the mold itself.

From what I can see Pretty Bird has some sort of pneumonia, if it’s viral or fungal there isn’t much that can be done, if it’s bacterial he needs an antibiotic.
We don’t know what bacteria it is without testing so the best antibiotic is something that has a broad range of what it will treat. Baytril os broad spectrum and has some activity against mycoplasma, not as good as Tylosin but it’s a good one, SMZ TMP is fairly broad spectrum but will not treat mycoplasma, Tylosin is very effective against mycoplasma, typically it’s effective against gastrointestinal infections, amoxicillin is pretty broad spectrum and is effective against a lot of respiratory bugs, there’s also a mix of amoxicillin and Tylosin (amoxy-tyl)

You can’t get a prescription without the bird getting seen by a vet, but fish antibiotics you can buy without a prescription, and they’re just human grade antibiotics in a different package.

I found one site that has amoxicillin-Tylan https://jedds.com/products/amoxy-tyl

And Baytril https://birdpalproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10-liquid-for-birds?_pos=1&_sid=32fc1d5c6&_ss=r

Here’s a good site for fish antibiotics https://www.countrysidepet.com/collections/fish

Last edited:
I think the reason some aren’t getting good results with ivermectin could be because worms can develop tolerances to wormers, that could be the issue people are having, ivermectin was the go to wormer for awhile, but popularity can be bad, especially with medications.

As for Pretty Bird, I just saw your livestream on YouTube and I’ve been thinking about his symptoms.

I had a gander I suspected of having gapeworm, but his issue was something completely different, so to be clear I’ve never seen a goose with gapeworm, gapeworm in chickens causes them to gasp in a way that is different than when there’s a respiratory illness, chickens with gapeworm tend to stretch and gasp, whereas respiratory issues tend to cause open mouthed, sometimes rapid, breathing without a stretch. The only time I have seen open mouthed breathing with a stretch in a goose was when my gander was in shock, or possible cardiac issues, after a beating from another gander.

The times my birds have had something in their airway or stuck in their throat they’ve usually tried to dislodged it by shaking and hacking pretty violently, so I imagine if they had gapeworm it would give them that feeling of something in their throat/airway and be trying to hack it up.

Pretty Bird isn’t shaking his head around or stretching and gasping like a chicken would with gapeworm, but he’s breathing heavily with his mouth open, which I have seen with respiratory illnesses in geese, basically pneumonia, or airsacculitis.

The wormer could help, but I strongly think that parasites aren’t the issue, or aren’t the only issue going on.

The best way to tell would be some Veterinary testing, which I understand isn’t a possibility “it isn’t for me either so don’t feel bad” but because of that it’s hard to say what the issue is.

If bacteria or a virus is the cause you might see other birds coming down with it, if it’s mycoplasma (technically a bacteria) it’s really slow spreading but inevitably all will get it too, but different birds are effected differently. In my flock I suspect I have it going around and for unknown reasons it effects my biggest gander far worse than others, my smallest females don’t seem affected at all.

If it’s viral all you can do is keep him comfortable to help him clear the virus which he may do depending on the virus.

If it’s fungal “aspergillosis ” it can be treated if caught early, but even that isn’t a guarantee, but it’s incredibly costly and lengthy and most birds do not survive the treatment or the disease. The prognosis is sadly very poor, the drugs that kill the mold can be just as toxic and damaging as the mold itself.

From what I can see Pretty Bird has some sort of pneumonia, if it’s viral or fungal there isn’t much that can be done, if it’s bacterial he needs an antibiotic.
We don’t know what bacteria it is without testing so the best antibiotic is something that has a broad range of what it will treat. Baytril os broad spectrum and has some activity against mycoplasma, not as good as Tylosin but it’s a good one, SMZ TMP is fairly broad spectrum but will not treat mycoplasma, Tylosin is very effective against mycoplasma, typically it’s effective against gastrointestinal infections, amoxicillin is pretty broad spectrum and is effective against a lot of respiratory bugs, there’s also a mix of amoxicillin and Tylosin (amoxy-tyl)

You can’t get a prescription without the bird getting seen by a vet, but fish antibiotics you can buy without a prescription, and they’re just human grade antibiotics in a different package.

I found one site that has amoxicillin-Tylan https://jedds.com/products/amoxy-tyl

And Baytril https://birdpalproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10-liquid-for-birds?_pos=1&_sid=32fc1d5c6&_ss=r

Here’s a good site for fish antibiotics https://www.countrysidepet.com/collections/fish
As of today I noticed no improvement since starting the fenbendazole (capsules which dosing is confusing, so I may not have been giving him enough) .. But I DO have a new discovery... Which scares the crap out of me... I felt rattling in his chest which my hubby (former army medic) immediately said he thinks something like pneumonia.. so the choices I have here at home for antibiotics is INJECTABLE TYLEN 50 and fish antibiotics AMOXICILLIN and I have the medication given to chickens for coccidiosis called " AMPROLLIUM " I think. It's a white powder, not antibiotic.

I was also told that I could safety treat him with fenbendazole & tylen 50 at the same time...
Also ... I have NEVER I injected birds .. I have crop fed/raised cockatiels, but never geese ducks or chickens. I can't find any videos to SHOW ME how to inject, so I'd have to do it orally.. as I am a visual learner and terrified of taking too big of a risk with my boy... Pretty Bird means the world to me... He is my special boy .. stole my heart the moment he hatched.. I'm trying not to loose him. He is one of those pets, where loosing them breaks something inside... He needs to survive until the 1st so I can get him to a vet! I'll figure everything financial out after that! I don't care... Just want him to survive this.
(I made a rule of always keeping antibiotics (over the counter) for animals on hand, including VET -RX etc.

Oh and I'm going to Google and research the dosing for tylen 50 for geese but would appreciate conformation here, if anyone knows . THANK YOU ALL FOR TAKING THE TIME TO SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE!!! I APPRECIATE IT SO MUCH!

I JUST remembered something... A few days ago.. my chicken killed a frog and pretty bird kept chewing on it.. he did NOT eat it, but could there be a connection... ?!?!? The chickens are all fine from what I can tell, but they are panting most days due to the heat, so if there was something going on, I probably would have a hard time figuring out if they are just hot or sick.. this is just a thought..

From what I’ve heard Tylan can cause tissue necrosis at injection site, so a lot of people dose their birds orally.

Frogs can be poisonous, maybe....poisoning can cause lethargy and labored breathing depending on the toxins injested, I don’t know much about issues from frogs though, I was always been told growing up that tree frogs can kill cats if they eat them but I have no idea if that’s true or not, it might depend on the species.
If poisoning did occur it can cause secondary problems because it brings the bodies immune response down.

I would give him the Tylan and amoxicillin
@casportpony Do you know what dosage per pound should be given?

In future if you ever need to inject a bird with medication, it’s usually not advisable to try for a vein, bird veins can easily collapse so it’s not a good idea without proper training with that sort of thing, when I was giving CaEDTA injections my vet had me inject my goose into the right breast just beside the keel, some drugs work well if injected just under the skin, others a little deeper into the muscle, but not much.
If the bird is immobile one person can do it alone, if they’re feeling well enough to try to get away it’s safer if you have a second person to restrain them, then you feel for the keel, brush the down out of the way as much as you can, and inject into the right breast just beside the keel.

I was also told that I could safety treat him with fenbendazole & tylen 50 at the same time...
Also ... I have NEVER I injected birds .. I have crop fed/raised cockatiels, but never geese ducks or chickens. I can't find any videos to SHOW ME how to inject, so I'd have to do it orally.. as I am a visual learner and terrified of taking too big of a risk with my boy... Pretty Bird means the world to me... He is my special boy .. stole my heart the moment he hatched.. I'm trying not to loose him. He is one of those pets, where loosing them breaks something inside... He needs to survive until the 1st so I can get him to a vet! I'll figure everything financial out after that! I don't care... Just want him to survive this.
(I made a rule of always keeping antibiotics (over the counter) for animals on hand, including VET -RX etc.
Geese have that special way of stealing our hearts and never letting go, they are truly special souls. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom