PLEASE HELP! My PET GANDER appears to have worms and I have NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE...

His improvement is in part thanks to all of you!! Taking the time to communicate with me and give me peace of mind when doctor google was giving me the most ridiculous answers!
He now rarely does a small pant, you would not notice if you didn't watch closely. Barely moving his lower beak to slightly open while breathing, usually during excitement. If this was a upper respiratory, would it make sense for him to take some time to fully recover from the aftermath of the sickness? Much like humans, who feel like they have shortness of breath after having gone through bronchitis or a child that went through croup?
Thank you all SO MUCH!

His improvement is in part thanks to all of you!! Taking the time to communicate with me and give me peace of mind when doctor google was giving me the most ridiculous answers!
He now rarely does a small pant, you would not notice if you didn't watch closely. Barely moving his lower beak to slightly open while breathing, usually during excitement. If this was a upper respiratory, would it make sense for him to take some time to fully recover from the aftermath of the sickness? Much like humans, who feel like they have shortness of breath after having gone through bronchitis or a child that went through croup?
Thank you all SO MUCH!
I can’t say that it’s normal or abnormal truthfully.

If he did have airsacculitis “pneumonia” he will still be in recovery, usually with airsacculitis the inflammation and the possible goo in the lungs will take a while to clear up, days to a few weeks depending on the severity. Without testing it’s inpossible to say for sure, that there isn’t something more going on still. I don’t like worrying you but I’m just trying to be completely honest.

If he’s feeling better that’s a good sign though, there’s a good chance it’s just the residual effects of pneumonia. When my gander Helios had it last summer it took him around two weeks for the shortness of breath and the occasional cough to clear up AFTER he finished his antibiotics. It scared hell out of me!

I can’t say that it’s normal or abnormal truthfully.

If he did have airsacculitis “pneumonia” he will still be in recovery, usually with airsacculitis the inflammation and the possible goo in the lungs will take a while to clear up, days to a few weeks depending on the severity. Without testing it’s inpossible to say for sure, that there isn’t something more going on still. I don’t like worrying you but I’m just trying to be completely honest.

If he’s feeling better that’s a good sign though, there’s a good chance it’s just the residual effects of pneumonia. When my gander Helios had it last summer it took him around two weeks for the shortness of breath and the occasional cough to clear up AFTER he finished his antibiotics. It scared hell out of me!
That is how he is acting ... There were a couple days, toward the end of antibiotics where he sounded like he was "snotty" like he had mucus coming out ... You know, like when you had a sinus infection and you get to the stuffed thick part, and you know it's about to be over... No more runny nose.. your body is just clearing out the rest. That's what it reminded me of. After that, he seems to only do it when he is overly excited or anxious, and only a little. I plan to keep a close eye on him, just in case. Did you record any or your ganders sickness? If so, I'd love to see :) . There are so few videos out there about sick geese and how farmers /homesteaders/ backyard flock owners treat them . You can find a abundance on chickens... But nothing really on geese... It's frustrating. That's partly why I posted a lot of what happened with my boy on YT. I hope more people will share visual experience with their geese in the future.

That is how he is acting ... There were a couple days, toward the end of antibiotics where he sounded like he was "snotty" like he had mucus coming out ... You know, like when you had a sinus infection and you get to the stuffed thick part, and you know it's about to be over... No more runny nose.. your body is just clearing out the rest. That's what it reminded me of. After that, he seems to only do it when he is overly excited or anxious, and only a little. I plan to keep a close eye on him, just in case. Did you record any or your ganders sickness? If so, I'd love to see :) . There are so few videos out there about sick geese and how farmers /homesteaders/ backyard flock owners treat them . You can find a abundance on chickens... But nothing really on geese... It's frustrating. That's partly why I posted a lot of what happened with my boy on YT. I hope more people will share visual experience with their geese in the future.
I have a few videos for comparison.
But be warned, the overview of the health issues in my flock are a lot.

I had one gander “Thor” who had asper, his treatment was eventually successful but his heart was damaged as a result of the antifungals and he succumbed to that in 2018. He was my first goose that I expierienced disease with. I’d had some injuries in the flock and a few losses before due to predation or poisoning “poor Kiwi” but never disease before that.
After Thor passed his brother Parsnip started having issues with his pancreas which has been an ongoing issue.
His sister Friday had an unknown severe illness around then, she stoped digesting food and was in bad shape. She was treated with Corid and antibiotics and the issue went away, but she’s always been a little less energetic since.
Darby “half brother” has a brief intense respiratory illness also at that time, for two days he was lethargic, hacking up saliva, and breathing heavily. By day 3 he was feeling better. By day 4 it was like it never happened. He was never treated with anything besides vitamins and electrolytes, he just got over it on his own and hasn’t been sick since.

Then at the end of 2020 hell began, we had some new neighbors move in next door and they brought sick chickens.
My geese caught whatever they had within two months, everyone was feeling run down with mild upper respiratory issues. I suspected mycoplasma because it would re-emerge with after cold snaps.
In late February/ early March my gander Roxby started worsening, his weight dropped and he started suffering nuerological symptoms, he was walking like he was drunk. He had slight facial swelling and his Hicks were slightly swollen. He lost the ability to walk and stand not long after. He was on multiple rounds of antibiotics, I had to start tube feeding him because he refused to eat.
He regained his ability to stand and then walk in early April.
After 14 days he began walking drunk again, 3 days later he lost his ability to stand and stopped eating.
In early later after multiple rounds of antibiotics he regained his ability to walk again.
14 days later he began to lose his ability to walk again and his hocks were swelling. I started him on doxycycline and he stopped regressing and began recovering again. I never was able to figure out the issue an there were so many things it could have been. In hindsite I wonder if it was botulism.

In June Roxby caught Candida because of his depleted gut flora. He was treated for that.

In late July the whole flock started getting more intense upper respiratory issues after a heat wave, I suspected mycoplasma and treated them with denegard, it seemed to help until we had another heat wave and everyone got sick again but worse. This is when Helios has airsacculitis https://www.instagram.com/p/CSAP3WuBy2a/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I took Helios and his sister Tuesday to the vet, got some testing done on them and some droppings from Roxby. Results were questionable. I got a “maybe?” for giardia, coccidia, and mycoplasma. A rod shaped bacteria was seen in Roxby’s stool sample.

Roxby had started walking like he was drunk again while we were waiting on the test results. After results eventually came in, I bought the flock SMZ TMP, Toltrazuril, and for Roxby Metronidazole because I wondered if the rod shaped bacteria was a species of clostridium, one of which is botulism. His symptoms disappeared and he hasn’t had the “wobbles” since.
Helios and the others improved and didn’t get the sniffles again until the coldest part of winter. I decided to start treating them with Tylosin for the suspected mycoplasma instead of denegard because denegard burns like acid even diluted and they usually just throw it up, so it’s not exactly doing anything for them if they can’t keep it down. Helios usually seems to be affected the worst by the “mycoplasma” I don’t really know why, but he hasn’t been as bad as he was in that video so far since.

In late October and November Roxby started getting sick again, but without the nuerological symptoms. He was lethargic, depressed, started going off his food. He ended up with open mouth breathing, head shaking, regurgitation. https://www.instagram.com/p/CWHT90rg2a7/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I suspected a lot of things including asper, I noticed he had a massive lump in his abdomen and though he had a tumor. He became constipated and even ended up with a blockage, I figured out he had a mega colon. The poor boy probably caught clostridium Perfringens after being on antibiotics for almost a whole year. I treated him with metronidazole again and the issue would go away for awhile but come back again all through the winter. I kept treating him with metro and he would get better but for shorter and shorter durations. I switched him to Amoxy-Tylan and he seemed to do better after that but the problem came back again in March.
Over the winter I had started him on a different probiotic regimen than he was on before. I mixed a lot of different brands and even started culturing them, it seemed to help but not completely. I looked into how humans are treated with C.diff and tried something crazy. I made him up a probiotic slurry and gave it to him as an enema and his issues went away until last week when everyone got the sniffles again after a heat wave and his intestinal issues reappeared and I had to treat him with Tylosin again.

Currently he and the others are alright it seems, I still have some that have the sniffles. My major concern is the state of Roxby’s cardiovascular health after being repeatedly ill for such a long time. He had an incident in May where he may have had a heart attack after a fight with Helios, but I’m not really sure what that was.

I have a few videos for comparison.
But be warned, the overview of the health issues in my flock are a lot.

I had one gander “Thor” who had asper, his treatment was eventually successful but his heart was damaged as a result of the antifungals and he succumbed to that in 2018. He was my first goose that I expierienced disease with. I’d had some injuries in the flock and a few losses before due to predation or poisoning “poor Kiwi” but never disease before that.
After Thor passed his brother Parsnip started having issues with his pancreas which has been an ongoing issue.
His sister Friday had an unknown severe illness around then, she stoped digesting food and was in bad shape. She was treated with Corid and antibiotics and the issue went away, but she’s always been a little less energetic since.
Darby “half brother” has a brief intense respiratory illness also at that time, for two days he was lethargic, hacking up saliva, and breathing heavily. By day 3 he was feeling better. By day 4 it was like it never happened. He was never treated with anything besides vitamins and electrolytes, he just got over it on his own and hasn’t been sick since.

Then at the end of 2020 hell began, we had some new neighbors move in next door and they brought sick chickens.
My geese caught whatever they had within two months, everyone was feeling run down with mild upper respiratory issues. I suspected mycoplasma because it would re-emerge with after cold snaps.
In late February/ early March my gander Roxby started worsening, his weight dropped and he started suffering nuerological symptoms, he was walking like he was drunk. He had slight facial swelling and his Hicks were slightly swollen. He lost the ability to walk and stand not long after. He was on multiple rounds of antibiotics, I had to start tube feeding him because he refused to eat.
He regained his ability to stand and then walk in early April.
After 14 days he began walking drunk again, 3 days later he lost his ability to stand and stopped eating.
In early later after multiple rounds of antibiotics he regained his ability to walk again.
14 days later he began to lose his ability to walk again and his hocks were swelling. I started him on doxycycline and he stopped regressing and began recovering again. I never was able to figure out the issue an there were so many things it could have been. In hindsite I wonder if it was botulism.

In June Roxby caught Candida because of his depleted gut flora. He was treated for that.

In late July the whole flock started getting more intense upper respiratory issues after a heat wave, I suspected mycoplasma and treated them with denegard, it seemed to help until we had another heat wave and everyone got sick again but worse. This is when Helios has airsacculitis https://www.instagram.com/p/CSAP3WuBy2a/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I took Helios and his sister Tuesday to the vet, got some testing done on them and some droppings from Roxby. Results were questionable. I got a “maybe?” for giardia, coccidia, and mycoplasma. A rod shaped bacteria was seen in Roxby’s stool sample.

Roxby had started walking like he was drunk again while we were waiting on the test results. After results eventually came in, I bought the flock SMZ TMP, Toltrazuril, and for Roxby Metronidazole because I wondered if the rod shaped bacteria was a species of clostridium, one of which is botulism. His symptoms disappeared and he hasn’t had the “wobbles” since.
Helios and the others improved and didn’t get the sniffles again until the coldest part of winter. I decided to start treating them with Tylosin for the suspected mycoplasma instead of denegard because denegard burns like acid even diluted and they usually just throw it up, so it’s not exactly doing anything for them if they can’t keep it down. Helios usually seems to be affected the worst by the “mycoplasma” I don’t really know why, but he hasn’t been as bad as he was in that video so far since.

In late October and November Roxby started getting sick again, but without the nuerological symptoms. He was lethargic, depressed, started going off his food. He ended up with open mouth breathing, head shaking, regurgitation. https://www.instagram.com/p/CWHT90rg2a7/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I suspected a lot of things including asper, I noticed he had a massive lump in his abdomen and though he had a tumor. He became constipated and even ended up with a blockage, I figured out he had a mega colon. The poor boy probably caught clostridium Perfringens after being on antibiotics for almost a whole year. I treated him with metronidazole again and the issue would go away for awhile but come back again all through the winter. I kept treating him with metro and he would get better but for shorter and shorter durations. I switched him to Amoxy-Tylan and he seemed to do better after that but the problem came back again in March.
Over the winter I had started him on a different probiotic regimen than he was on before. I mixed a lot of different brands and even started culturing them, it seemed to help but not completely. I looked into how humans are treated with C.diff and tried something crazy. I made him up a probiotic slurry and gave it to him as an enema and his issues went away until last week when everyone got the sniffles again after a heat wave and his intestinal issues reappeared and I had to treat him with Tylosin again.

Currently he and the others are alright it seems, I still have some that have the sniffles. My major concern is the state of Roxby’s cardiovascular health after being repeatedly ill for such a long time. He had an incident in May where he may have had a heart attack after a fight with Helios, but I’m not really sure what that was.
I'm so sorry I didn't see your msg until now. That is so scary! I'm so sorry for all that you had to go through. As you mention the heat waves and the following sicknesses of URI, I can see how it makes sense that uri is what Pretty Bird has been dealing with. I'm currently locking up the coop and doing my evening check in but I will read through your post again! And take the time to follow the links you posted! I had a HELL of a time trying to get pretty to take his antibiotics today! He kept blocking my view with his tongue & locking gis jaw...and it seemed like i was either going to rip his beak off or shove the liquid down his trachea... So I just kept his head up and only did 0.2ml at a time with his head pointed up, barely I to the right side of his beak, keeping his head up, beak pointed to the sky, so he had to swallow, and gave him a bite of cucumber In between lol so he would swallow any residue after swallowing the drops... It worked.... Ish.. I mean, he swallowed it all with no sneezing or coughing, BUT it was stressful for us both.
I only did 0.8ml of tylan 50, injectable since that was the min people were telling me at the time.
I really need to find a farmer or backyard goose owner here to show me/teach me how to do antibiotic injections on a goose! And how to orally medicate them.
Thank you for all the help you have given me in the past and current and maybe will, in the future! I truly appreciate it SOUCH!

I'm so sorry I didn't see your msg until now. That is so scary! I'm so sorry for all that you had to go through. As you mention the heat waves and the following sicknesses of URI, I can see how it makes sense that uri is what Pretty Bird has been dealing with. I'm currently locking up the coop and doing my evening check in but I will read through your post again! And take the time to follow the links you posted! I had a HELL of a time trying to get pretty to take his antibiotics today! He kept blocking my view with his tongue & locking gis jaw...and it seemed like i was either going to rip his beak off or shove the liquid down his trachea... So I just kept his head up and only did 0.2ml at a time with his head pointed up, barely I to the right side of his beak, keeping his head up, beak pointed to the sky, so he had to swallow, and gave him a bite of cucumber In between lol so he would swallow any residue after swallowing the drops... It worked.... Ish.. I mean, he swallowed it all with no sneezing or coughing, BUT it was stressful for us both.
I only did 0.8ml of tylan 50, injectable since that was the min people were telling me at the time.
I really need to find a farmer or backyard goose owner here to show me/teach me how to do antibiotic injections on a goose! And how to orally medicate them.
Thank you for all the help you have given me in the past and current and maybe will, in the future! I truly appreciate it SOUCH!
Are you aware that you can give Tylan directly to the beak instead of injecting it?

Also note that it works best If it is given every 8 hours instead of just once in a 24-hour period.

Are you aware that you can give Tylan directly to the beak instead of injecting it?

Also note that it works best If it is given every 8 hours instead of just once in a 24-hour period.
Yes, that's what I meant. I did give it to him orally. It was just a pain and so stressful for us both.
This was his first dose, he will be receiving the tylan 50 3x a day.

Yes, that's what I meant. I did give it to him orally. It was just a pain and so stressful for us both.
This was his first dose, he will be receiving the tylan 50 3x a day.
Ok great. I must have misunderstood and thought you were injecting.

Back
Top Bottom