PLEASE HELP! My PET GANDER appears to have worms and I have NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE...

The flies could definitly be irritating them, biting them and causing the itching. Mites could also be to blame.
Upper respiratory illnesses can also cause their faces to itch, whenever the dreaded mycoplasma “CRD” re-emerges mine start itching their faces more along with snicking and head shaking. Unfortunatly if mycoplasma is what’s been making pretty bird sick it, it’s a chronic issue that won’t go away, it will just keep popping back up like it does in my flock.

Crushing oregano and garlic in their water can help boost their immune system and also help to keep mites away. It isn’t a cure but it can help.
Ok. Thank you!
Do you know if diatomaceous earth should be rubbed on geese like you do with chickens when you treat them with it.

You can try it but rarely do waterfowl have parasites unless kept in horrid conditions. Give them bathing water too.
I use Ivermectin on my chickens about every 3 months, They haven't had mites in years I just do it as a preventive. My waterfowl never have had mites.
If you use DE the dust is an irritant so be very careful your birds don't inhale it or you.

You can try it but rarely do waterfowl have parasites unless kept in horrid conditions. Give them bathing water too.
I use Ivermectin on my chickens about every 3 months, They haven't had mites in years I just do it as a preventive. My waterfowl never have had mites.
If you use DE the dust is an irritant so be very careful your birds don't inhale it or you.
I don't believe I keep them in horrid conditions. They have 4 pools, that are cleaned every day/2nd day (the ones that get more sun are cleaned daily or if one was pooped in more) I feed them every day, they free range all day with lots of grass, get lots of kale, cucumber, broccoli and other treats daily. Watermelon every other week (this is shared with the chicken flock) I clean out the coop/barn (a converted garage) nightly. Fresh drinking water in smaller bowls is given twice daily. I hope this does NOT come across as sarcastic! I'm genuinely wondering if I'm doing something wrong?

Are you seeing mites on them?If so get poultry dust. Or there is a product called putty protector. Sounds to me like they are being very well cared for. I wasn’t referring to you as keeping them in horrid conditions just stating what would cause then to have an infestation. My chickens had mites and I clean their coops daily and feed and water them daily happened anyway, but my waterfowl didn’t get them which I assumed was because they have water to bathe in.

Are you seeing mites on them?If so get poultry dust. Or there is a product called putty protector. Sounds to me like they are being very well cared for. I wasn’t referring to you as keeping them in horrid conditions just stating what would cause then to have an infestation. My chickens had mites and I clean their coops daily and feed and water them daily happened anyway, but my waterfowl didn’t get them which I assumed was because they have water to bathe in.
I wasn't offended or anything, I always genuinely try to learn. That's why I described some of how I keep them. But I have restrictions on the things I can do, since I do live in a neighborhood & rent. Trying to rectify that asap! I'm on 2/3 of an acre and they have most of it to forage. To protect them from the stray dogs that seem to happen here in small town tx, I set up a poultry fence all the way around... At least to buy them time and for me to hear something is wrong. I'm always home, so I do spend a lot of time with my geese/chickens. And my chicken-goose (chicken thinks she's a goose lol). Pretty bird started out as a house goose and lived indoors for about the first 2 years of his life. I took him out every day for several hours so he could forage. This was in az. Part of my concern has been that this was his first fall/winter/spring/summer LIVING outdoors with other birds. I been worried that by keeping him indoors (even tho I didn't have much of a choice at the time) while he was developing, he missed out on exposure to bacterias and viruses that would have build his immune system up. And then the change of climate and the extreme weather just all seemed like it was all happening at once for him. As soon as I have the financial means, I am taking him to the vet to do a blood and fecal test. And hopefully I can afford a ultrasound or x-ray to find out what is going on. But until then I am just trying to do my best and become a better flock mum. I have much to learn and find that the most valuable lessons come from people who are much more experienced. I research, but you can only learn so much from books/articles. Experience is the actual gold mine imo. That's why I love this site and am so grateful that y'all take the time to give me advice and teach me what you know! It's so very much appreciated!!

If you took him out daily to forage then he has been exposed to everything that lives out of doors. Are you seeing anything from him that is causing worry or concern?

If you took him out daily to forage then he has been exposed to everything that lives out of doors. Are you seeing anything from him that is causing worry or concern?
Over the past 2 months he started panting and breathing heavy. @Goosebaby has been helping me. I have used wormer on him as I first thought it was worms (gapeworm), and simultaneously put him through a broad spectrum oral antibiotic. He went from lethargic, to almost normal. I assumed he was simply recovering, and much like when we are sick, we can be out of breath easily after being sick recently. I let him rejoin the flock (this was all during the TX heat wave). For the next week-3 weeks he would have some slight panting but his beak would barely open and he was acting like himself. Then he suddenly got worse again, and I put him through tylan 50 orally. This was recently. He regurgitated the meds EVERY TIME! (I don't know how to inject and am working on finding someone who can teach me in my area near lake texoma in tx. And I'm broke with the inflation and haven't been able to afford a vet yet. Hubby is a 100% disabled veteran and we have 2 kids ) He improved again, but was again left with slight pants here and there. (there are several videos attached to the thread) then a few days ago, it looked like they were irritated by something, and often "grooming their heads" by rubbing it on their backs (several of my geese were) but we do have a good amount of small flies in the yard ATM and I figured that's what it was, u til I noticed that they sometimes did a slight head shake. So I came back here. Today, I found something suspicious in the coop that makes me wonder if Pretty Bird had ingested a frayed peace of a old tarp a few months ago. It kinda looks like it's been pooped out. I can't help but wonder if it is what started all this. There was a tarp I had used under one of their pools that had fallen apart when I went to move it. I cleaned it up right away and didn't think the birds had messed with it yet, but now I'm not sure. (I'll attach some pics ) Through all this I'm pretty much feeling like a paranoid goose mum. My gander, pretty bird, is 3.5 years old. I hatched and raised him. He is a hybrid swan x Canada goose and I fell in love with this guy long ago. He was my first goose and I'm hoping he will be with me for another 20 years. He is the reason I am fascinated with geese and I can't imagine loosing him. I'm just trying to do what is right for him.

Attachments

• IMG_20220929_151548621.jpg
    IMG_20220929_151548621.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220929_151533409.jpg
    IMG_20220929_151533409.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220822-092420.png
    Screenshot_20220822-092420.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220822-092443.png
    Screenshot_20220822-092443.png